Adventures in Narnia: The Beginning

Start from the beginning

Everything I was carrying was gone, and instead of sitting on the floor of a dressing room with a broken mirror and bloody forehead, I was laying in a quiet forest at the peak of fall.

The soft wind rustled the crimson and gold leafs, leaving the soft scent of autumn in the air.

            The tranquility was broken by the distant scream of a young girl. I turned to the direction of the sound just in time to see a great golden mare barrel towards me.

I jumped out of the way as the horse and rider flew past me, leaving me breathless.

A moment later another creature come in to view. It looked rather like a large black dog, lumbering along at a swift pace. It snarled with razor sharp fangs and had eyes like fire.

My entire body quaked, I turned in the opposite direction and ran screaming into the woods.

The terrain was rough and hard on my heeled shoes, but the terror behind me was more than enough to make me endure the pain.

I came to a part where the trees grew close together and rocks were many, so I kicked off my shoes and wove swiftly through the close trunks.

I reached a clearing. Beyond the clearing was a thicket, and in the thicket was a young girl and her horse, caught in the brambles and low hanging tree branches. The animal howled again and the poor frightened horse threw her rider and dashed off into the woods.

She struggled to climb to her feet. I went to help her, but I could hear the sharp claws scratching the stones behind me. I lunged into the thinner part of the thicket to hide, hoping the girl could get away.

 The creature, now not feeling the need to run, slowly walked into the glade, hideously smiling at the girl.

There must be something I can do to help her!” I felt around for a weapon, and my fingers gently rested on a nicely sized rock.

The animal closed in, growling and hissing, the girl was frozen with her back against a tree.

It howled again, before lunging toward the helpless rider.

“Here boy!” I screamed and threw the stone as hard as I could. The animal yelped in pain as the stone landed on its left foot.

It turned to face me; I stood my ground for a moment, wondering if I did would it just run away. But I was wrong.

Hatred filled its eyes as it howled again and came charging at me.

I had nowhere to run, and all I could think to do was scream as certain death was leaping toward me.

I struggled for a moment when I felt its teeth at my throat. I braced myself but no pain came. I heard a thwack, and the body fell limp atop me.

I didn’t breathe for a moment, then I felt the creature being pulled away from me.

“Are you alright?” a deep voice asked.

I sat up bewildered.

A young boy with tousled black hair stood over me, the mischievous sprinkling of freckles across his nose contradicted the seriousness in his dark green eyes.

“The girl…is…is she alright?” I gasped, out of breath from the experience.

“Yes, my sister it quite alright,” he said, reaching his hand out to me.

I took his hand and pulled myself up.

“Thank you.”

“You are quite welcome.” He smiled.