Like Living In The Past...

Start from the beginning

"No," he said simply. "I'm here because I want to be. The girls need me, you need me to be a part of their lives..."

"So how's Sadie?" I asked.

"She's good," he smiled. "The boys are all good. Eric met the girls, so don't be surprised if he visits when he's old enough to drive."

"He'd be close, though."

"Very. It's scary. When I saw the girls... My, they look like you, Riss. Definitely. I thought I was looking at you in your younger form. Of course, you don't like you're in your thirties."

"I certainly feel like it."

"So what do we do about Christie?" he asked.

"Kyle... what can we do? Our sixteen year old daughter is pregnant."

"I meant about the thug who knocked her up."

"Oh. I wanna hurt him. I mean, did she tell you about what happened? It scares me that our girls are going to school with assholes like that!"

"Tell me about it. If any of my boys ever did that to a girl, I'd kill them. It's bullshit, and it's totally different to when we were younger."

"True. We chose to be careless."

"You're not holding that against me still, are you Rissa?"

"No. It was my fault, too. It was fate, and that's just it. I always worried that one of the girls would wind up pregnant, but I thought it would be Brea for sure. She's wild. And she has a boyfriend. But Christina's quiet, and she's smart. But... alcohol. It's evil."

"I know. I don't drink the stuff, and I encourage the boys not to. Of course, I can't stop them if they do."

I heard footsteps and looked up to see Tabitha coming into the living room. It was almost two in the morning. I hoped that we didn't wake her.

"Mom, what are you doing?" she frowned.

"Honey, why are you up?" I asked her.

"Christie and Bee were talking loud," she groaned. "Then I came to get a glass of water, and found you were up too. So they came home. Where were they?"

"This is little Tabitha?" Kyle asked, smiling at her.

"Who are you?" Tabitha asked, eyeing him.

"Kyle Brady," he held her hand out. She took it hesitantly.

"You're Christie and Bee's dad, right?" she asked him.

"Yes," he smiled. "We've met before, but you were only like, one or something. You could walk, and you looked like your sisters. I see that nothing's changed."

"Uh... thanks," Tabitha said shyly. "Mom, is dad home? Does he know he's here?"

"Your father knew I was waiting to see if your sisters got home, but I wasn't waking him up to tell him," I said quickly. "Now go back to bed. And tell your sisters to go to sleep, too."

"Mom, why were they gone?" Tabitha asked. "Why did they go to him?"

"She doesn't know, either?" Kyle frowned.

"Know what?" Tabitha frowned, too. "Tell me!"

"Tomorrow," I said stubbornly. "Bed. Now."

"Marissa, what's going on down there?" Tyson's voice called from the top of the stairs. "The girls are up here bickering, too."

"Great," I stood up. "I'll be back."

I left Kyle and Tabitha in the living room and ran up the stairs. Tyson stood there, looking strained. I kissed his cheek and took his hand.