Seven | Moving On

"Morning, Bridgette," Aunt Paula's voice greeted Bridgette as she settled on the dining table

"Morning," Bridgette sighed.

It was her first day of school in Jakarta, and she wasn't looking forward to it. She hated getting pushed to know people all over again, when she just did all that three years ago in Denmark. She'd been imagining herself introducing her name and other 'important' stuff to her new class. Like they would even care, she thought.

She was told that they didn't do moving classes in her school. So in other words, she'd be with the same people in every subject, throughout the whole year. . .which would be boring, and she would be especially noticed for that. But probably the blessing in disguise is the fact that she wouldn't need to replay her introduction and meet a bigger number of people. Bittersweet.

The sunlight was casting a shadow of the window blinds on the floor. It was a bright morning in this warm climate. Bridgette drank her share of warm tea with cold hands. The kitchen's temperature was drastically warmer than her icy cold room. She laid her eyes on the window blinds, sun, and shadows.

'Isn't it ironic, that the source of light-- because of its light--instead casts darkness over something?' she thought.

True. Ironic how the sun casts sunlight on many things, and yet through those many lighted things, darkness is casted at the same time in shadows. Mysteries of nature.

"How do you feel on your first morning for school here?" Uncle David passed a plate of pancakes for her.

She averted her attention from the window blinds to the tasty looking pancakes in front of her. She just noticed how hungry she was, but she didn't fail to keep her eyes look uninterested. "Lonely," she put her gaze on her uncle who was pouring his maple sauce.

"I'm sure you'll get to know people," Uncle David smiled a small assuring smile. . .at least supposedly assuring. It didn't assure Bridgette in any way. In fact, the statement just gave her an assurance that Uncle David isn't sure.

"Eat all you want Bridgette, you look starving," Aunt Paula made a friendly smile at her.

Bridgette couldn't help smiling a tiny smile, which obviously made Aunt Paula pleased. She munched down her fork and knife on the buttery pancake, dipped it on the warm maple sauce, and shoved it into her mouth, the taste of it never failing by putting satisfaction on her tongue. She couldn't hide her originally expressive self so she closed her eyes and enjoyed the taste without further thought, temporarily unveiling her mask.

"You love it don't you," Aunt Paula flashed a grin.

"Briggie!" Philipp calls from the stairs in his dad's arms before Bridgette could retort Aunt Paula.

Bridgette turned around, giving her back to Aunt Paula, to see Philipp. She smiled a small smile to greet Philipp. Even though she's close with Philipp behind his parents, she wouldn't show that in front of them, for some unknown reason, even to herself.