Four | Memory Ride

"Hello, I'm Bridgette's aunt, Paula," a woman with shoulder-length dark hair shook Aiden's hand firmly

"Hi. Aiden. Nice to meet you," Aiden responded her shake with a strong hand.

"I'm Paula's husband, David," a man slightly shorter than Aiden, probably 5.9 feet tall, shook his hand firmly.

"Aiden. Nice to meet you," Aiden repeated his gesture. He observed the two foreigners who happened to be Bridgette's aunt and uncle. Paula was about 15 cm shorter than David, making her 165--a bit shorter than Bridgette, who was 168.

It was pretty clear to Aiden, that Bridgette never really knew her aunt and uncle, and by the way she looked at them, she seemed very distant, unsure of what to say and what to feel.  Aiden was sure, Bridgette was going to have a tough time to cope, since she would have nobody to turn to. He prayed she would have nice friends in her new school. But seeing Bridgette still being that curt, he had a hard time believing she would make any new ones soon.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Aiden asked Bridgette, looking straight to her dark brown eyes.

Her eyes rolled around, "You bet."

Aiden knew Bridgette close enough to radar a cry. It was obvious to him that a sob was on the edge of her tongue, and a tear on the edge of her right eye. "Please excuse us for a minute," he interrupted Paula and David who were signing papers. He didn't wait for an answer and pulled Bridgette away to the evacuation staircase.

"What the heck?" Bridgette didn't hold herself to say so. It was what she felt about everything right then. Exactly like 'what the heck is going on'.

"You can cry," Aiden said in a low voice.

"What the hell," Bridgette stated more than asked.

"Listen, Bridgette. Back in Indonesia, you won't be able to cry to anyone. I know you hardly know your aunt and uncle. You have no siblings. You won't make friends in a short time. So cry now, Bridgette. While you still have me in front of you."

"You know, Aiden, I hate this all. I simply hate it," Bridgette held back her tears. She wasn't going to cry again, right? She spent all her tears on her bed last night. Her ex-bed. She won't be seeing it for a long time; the bed she told her mom and dad stories when she just moved to Denmark. Dad. "I hate this Aiden," she cut her mind. "Why is everything--I hate this big time!" she couldn't help but sob. She sunk down and cried on her knees.

"Yeah. You can cry," Aiden sunk down across her. He looked at her with his poker complexion. He felt like he was losing his own biological sister. It hurt him to see her breaking down into tears and sobbing her heart out like she had no tomorrow, like she had no future, like she gave up on life. But he was helping her right? Helping so that she could feel better later on without him.

"I hate you for making me cry and ruining my best poker face I've ever masked," she punched him in a weak manner.

Aiden didn't say anything in reply, but was silently saying in his heart 'don't put on the mask in front of me, Bridgette. I see you through'. It was true. He sees her through like through a looking glass, straight into her heart. He knew her best out of his other best friends. Probably because he spent more time with her.