Five | Waiting Specialties

The days flew by faster than they thought

The days flew by faster than they thought. It was time for Bridgette to move away, to fly far away down, to the equator.

"So. . .see you around?" Bridgette said to Aiden by the doors of Copenhagen airport.

"More like around the world," Aiden shoved his hands into his jean pockets.

"Yeah. . .would we still contact each other?" Bridgette asked.

"Is that a question? We should."

"Right. Skype?" Bridgette took her luggage.

"Yes. Skype."

"Okay. So. . .I need to get in."

"So. . .bye?"

"Yeah. Bye. . .Aiden," Bridgette started to turn her heels.

Aiden caught her arm. He felt like if he let her go, it was the same as letting their friendship go. "Bye, Bridgette. Promise me this isn't the last goodbye," he squeezed her arm hard, attempting to confirm himself that this was really happening, that she was happening.

"I promise," Bridgette whispered and gave a subtle smile.

He let go, and she turned to join her aunt and uncle who were inside.

It didn't take minutes for Aiden to lose her in the crowd.

--

"Boarding, Lufthansa, flight number LH 588, to Frankfurt. Boarding, Lufthansa. . ." the airport speakers seemed like doom to Bridgette's ears. She sighed as packed her stuff to proceed to the gate.

Arriving for transit, Bridgette walked through the gigantic halls of Frankfurt International Airport feeling like a bug herself. Of course, Uncle David and Aunt Paula kept asking her useless questions. The questions adults ask when they don't know how to manage a kid they hardly know. She knew her dislike towards their chattering was shown through her curt answers. So finally, they gave up asking and talking to her. Which was way better for Bridgette.

The airport was very busy, it appeared more like a train station. She saw tall, handsome women and men walking rapidly everywhere. They were all very tidy--in suits with briefcases--probably for a business trip. The clicking of heels and murmurs of the crowd made her smile. It felt good to be in a busy airport.

But the feeling didn't last long. As soon as she set foot on the Indonesian airline to Jakarta, she obviously saw a lot of people her race on the plane. She came to remember her dad. She shook the feeling off her as she sat on her seat that was by the window again. She was thankful that she didn't get seats next to her "future parents" (or actually, caretakers to her).

She hated being complicated. She hated being the complicated girl, but she kept finding herself being the complicated one, sadly. So that leads to her hating herself.