Chapter 1

Sans stopped what he was doing and sighed. "Kid, you're really pushin' your luck." He turned to look at her,  his eyes stern. She watched his face soften as his eyes landed on her. "Frisk, is that what was botherin' ya?"

"Yeah, kind of." She looked down, trying to cover her embarrassment.

"Kid, look at me." He stood there, watching her as she stayed completely still. "Frisk...." she slowly looked up, her face bright red. Sans strode over and sat next to her on his bed, wrapping his arm around her and holding her closely. "I'm worried about Chara coming back too Frisk, but we shouldn't think about it. It hasn't happened yet." He said the last sentence shakily, as if he didn't believe himself.

"Sans we should be preparing....." Frisk reached over and lightly squeezed his hand before returning hers to it's place on her lap.

"Frisk I don't wanna think about it."

"But Sans we ha-"

"I said I don't wanna think about it!" He roared. Frisk flinched and moved away from, thinking of the Genocide route she'd done only two resets ago. That behavior in Sans frightened her. She teared up and looks away from him. He sighed loudly. "Frisk I didn't mean to snap. I'm sorry." He reached out and touched her shoulder. She only grunted in response. Sans moved his hand and left her alone, he knew how much that had scared her, he understood why, he'd killed her many times before she beat him.

"Sans..." she paused and hugged him tightly. Accidentally pushing him off the bed and careening them both onto the floor. Sans began to laugh, loudly. Frisk giggled in response, his laugh was so infectious. She kissed the skeleton on what would be his cheek before shoving herself up and leaving. She had not noticed the bright blue blush creeping across his face.

"Fr-Frisk..." he mumbled. She turned around and looked at him. "Thanks Kiddo." She nodded happily and walked out of the room. Sans closed the door behind her and sighed.

"What am I gonna do, kid?" He chuckled and slowly got to his feet. The small skeleton felt like going to Grillby's but her didn't wanna use energy to get there.His mind wandered away from that and to Frisk. He smiled to himself,  blushing lightly as he thought of the human that had fallen down here years ago. He thought of her promise, not to reset unless she absolutely had to. He knew what she meant, Chara always came back. He sighed loudly as the memories from the last timeline rushed to his mind like feral dogs. Sans didn't feel himself crying,  but he was. You may ask how it is possible for a skeleton the cry, and the answer is simple, magic doesn't care what it's user has dubbed impossible.

Sans, wiping his face after finally realizing he was crying, got up and opened his door, he was going to Grillby's. He needed some advice and the older flame elemental seemed to give the best of it despite his quiet nature. Grillby was an observer, and a good one at that.

As soon as Sans sat down on his usual stool, Grillby looked at him in a concerned matter. Sans's plastered smile got smaller and he signalled to the back room, Grillby nodded and walked over to open the door. Sans followed lazily, trying to conceal his fear. 

Grillby had already heard all about Chara from Sans, so he thought he knew what to expect out of the conversation. He thought it would be a quick pep-talk, the usual conversation with Sans. He knew how wrong he was when he turned around to see the small skeleton in tears. His face was bright blue, and despite the crying, his same permanent smile was very evident on his face. Grillby sighed and sat down next to Sans, placing and light hand on the skeleton's shoulder for comfort. 

"Sans what's wrong...? I am not used to seeing you this worked up... is it Chara?" the flame elemental asked in his naturally quiet voice.

"K-kinda..." Sans paused, wiping a few tears from his eyes before continuing. "But mostly it's Frisk... I'm worried for her.." He said the last part in a whisper, as if Grillby wasn't supposed to hear it.

"I am not sure what to do to fix that... I am unsure of how to fix feelings... but... if you are really worried about her, then stay close to her... protect her, Sans." 

"Okay..." Sans nodded, a DETERMINED look on his face. "Thanks Grillbz." He said as he let himself out of the restaurant and walked home. He thought hard about what Grillby had said, was he really needing to step up his game on protectiveness? Frisk was a very capable person... but still very weak..  maybe protecting her was the only way to prevent Chara from returning. He snorted at the thought before opening the door. "Frisk? You here?" he called.