EIGHT

JULIET

Here I am currently hauling my ass to my room after physical therapy. I'm really thankful that the hit wasn't that damaging. I managed to get away with a few broken ribs and temporarily numb legs but I can deal with that- I'm still fighting my way through physical therapy every day. After a few weeks, I will be discharged. For the first time, I'm actually excited about going to school. And thank the heavens I was able to keep up with their demands, I want to go out of High School already and go to college. I've been looking up colleges near us and I'm already sure what program I want to take- Education. Jeremy was set to take pre-law and law afterward. Mom was so happy to know that we already made up our mind about college because we all know we can't afford a gap year, come on we're not rich.

Unconsciously, my mind drifted off to Luke. We've been hanging out excessively these past few months and I must say we've gotten closer. He was actually funny and entertaining so it doesn't suck to be stuck with him for a day when no one was available to watch me. I shook my head at the thought because there was a much more pressing matter right now.

I aged a year, yep, you read right. Today's my birthday! I've never celebrated it spectacularly because I always celebrate it with my family and Tamara and it was nice, though this year I don't know how we're gonna manage to do that. Everyone was busy with their own thing. Mom was working, Tamara and Jeremy were at school and of course Luke was there too. So I'm basically left alone for today.

I gripped on the doorknob and twisted it open, and walked with my cane in hand to my room. "Happy birthday!" A greeting welcomed me.

I saw my mom, Jeremy, Tamara, and Luke there with smiles on their faces and a birthday hat on their own.

"All of you look ridiculous." I snorted and rolled my eyes at them as I walked to my bed with Luke wanting to assist me but I refused because I wanted to do it on my own, I missed being on my feet.

I sat on my bed and moved around so that I can lay comfortably.

"Happy birthday baby," Mom said and kissed my forehead.

"Thanks, mom" I answered as I smiled at her. They prepared a few dishes, my favorite-

spaghetti, some nuggets and two boxes of pizza. It was perfect.

"I was supposed to buy you a cake-because duh, it's your birthday but they told me you hated it," Luke said with a shy smile on his face

"Yep, I hate them with a burning passion," I said and chuckled at him

"I got you these instead, your mom told me these were your favorite," He said and handed me a bouquet of pink carnations.

The last time I received one was from my dad, on my 13th birthday. He said it was a perfect gift for a girl who just entered her teenage years and he wanted to be the first guy to give me one. That was the last time I ever saw him. I couldn't help but well up in tears when I reached for the flowers.

"S-something wrong? Don't you like it? I can run to the shop and ex-" I stopped his rambling and looked up at him.

"n-no... it's perfect. My dad was the first person to give me one." I said and sniffled.

"Aww baby" I heard my mom whisper holding her own set of tears too.

It was a bittersweet memory.

I wiped my tears and smiled at them and said my thank you's.

"I got you this perfect dress!" She gushed as she took out this cute dress from the packaging and laid it on her body as she modeled it for us.

"It's cute, thank you, Tam," I said and smiled at her.