☁︎ twelve ☁︎

author's note: things r about to get interesting ;) p.s thank you sooo much for 2k reads! every single read, vote & comment literally means so much to me & gives me motivation to continue to write! thank you so much, honestly  ♥︎ 

(any errors will be fixed later)

:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧

when we got out of the car Catherine gripped my hand, her palms a little clammy. everything made her nervous, and she'd always been extremely sensitive.

she led me up the cement path that led to the porch and I admired the garden, it hadn't changed much - it was grassy and very natural looking, wild flowers, both tall and small, covered the land, and many many little gnomes were placed in various spots. not those weird little plastic gnomes though, they were cute little grey ones made out of stones, I think. hummingbird feeders were everywhere I looked, as were birdbaths. I was a little saddened when Cath brought me out of my fantasy, only to face reality again. she opened the door and it brought us into the small rustic kitchen, and sitting on a red wooden stool was Catherine's mother, Gwen, with a mug in her hands and a small smile on her freckled face.

she sat her mug down and stood up, hugging us both tightly, even though she was shorter than us both, and Cath is pretty short, she managed to engulf us like it was nothing. I hugged them both too, I felt like I was home again.

"thank you for bringing her back, Van. thank you so much." she said, her blue eyes outlined with red, she had been crying. I nodded, and bent down to hug her again. Gwen was more of a mother to me than my biological mother ever was, and I won't ever be able to thank her enough.

"is something wrong, mum?" Catherine pipped, snagging her mothers mug to steal a sip. "why do you look so upset?" she asked, sounding unaffected. I'm convinced she has an 'on' and 'off' switch for her emotions.

Gwen sniffled a little but a smile began to grow, which confused me, but gave me a feeling of hope. "well, your grandmother has finally come to her senses, Catherine, and you must know what that means..." she trailed off, and a shiver ran through my body. 

a smile grew on Catherine's face too, and I remained lost.

"no way! she hasn't! you're not joking are you?" Catherine responded, her tone filled with organic excitement. I felt my eyebrows raise on their own.

her mother shook her head, pulling her red curly hair into a bun. "I'm not kidding, maybe Van will be interested in helping." she said, giving me a smirk before grabbing her purse. "now, I'm off to the market and you two should stay for dinner," she spoke, opening the turquoise door. "and Catherine, don't just stand there looking shocked. please share everything with Van, he looks like a lost puppy." she finished, and shut the door behind her. I turned to look at Catherine, and I could see the wheels of her brain turning; she had her blank, million-thought-a-minute face on. 

"Cath?" I asked, waving my hand in front of her face.

"oh! yeah, yeah Van?"

"what in the world was that all about?" 

Catherine paused but didn't break eye contact, she simply licked her lips and chuckled a little. 

"oh Van... I just hope you like chickens."