☁︎ seven ☁︎

*ring, ring, ring!*

I woke up to hearing one of our phones going off. I groaned, reaching for the one that was ringing. I didn't even bother to see whose phone it was.

"hello?" I croaked before clearing my throat. 

"who is this?" the voice on the other end asked. 

"what do you mean, mate?" I questioned back.

"you're not Catherine," they snarled. "this is her mother. who are you?"

"Miss Hicks!? it's Van! Van McCann!" 

"Van! oh my god, I haven't heard from you in years! are you with Catherine?"

I nodded my head, then remembered she couldn't see me. "yes I am, miss. I'm sorry that she never came home last night, I'm sorry if you were worried."

to my surprise her mother didn't say anything, she simply just sighed. "it's okay Van, I'm just glad she's safe. please have her back before tomorrow, though." she chuckled, and then hung up after I agreed.

butterflies flew through me, and I'm not even sure why. I bit down on my lip while I watched her, sleeping so peacefully. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder, moving her back and forth slowly.

"Catherine? Cath, wake up." I spoke. her coal-black eyes squinted, and then looked up at me.

"did we fall asleep?" she asked, sitting up with me. "oh my god, we did." she chuckled, wrapping her arms around my waist. I chuckled too, her laugh was adorably contagious. I held onto her while she rested her head on my chest.

"thank you Van." she murmured before separating our bodies.

"for what?"

"for bringing me back to your room, for treating me like we never fell out, and for everything really." she said, pushing my hair back and out of my eyes. I could feel my cheeks redden, hoping she wouldn't notice. 

"you don't have to thank me Cath, that's what best friends are for. by the way, your mother called." I added. "but, I answered it..."

"you did? what did she think of that?" she asked me, a smirk on her face.

"well at first, when she didn't know who I was, she was mad of course. but when I told her who I was and that you were with me, she didn't mind at all. she just told me to have you back home before tomorrow." 

"before tomorrow?" she repeated. "that's odd of her, usually she wants me back sooner."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess she still trusts me."

Catherine tilted her head in a sassy manner while giving me a smirk. "yeah, well, she shouldn't." she teased.