Ten

Dax held his finger to his lips, motioning for Halen to be quiet

Dax held his finger to his lips, motioning for Halen to be quiet. He waved her toward the left corridor, which wound around with dozens of copper dialed doorways. 

Her heart raced as they passed each door, Nelia's warning playing on repeat in her mind.

Don't get yourself killed.

She held her breath as they passed a doorway, a soft melody coming from inside. Halen stopped, her feet planted, taking root at the door, the enchanting, hollow tune capturing her in its snare. Tears flecked her eyes as the notes lifted and fell in a sea of melancholy. Her heart filled with an empty longing. She lifted her hand toward the copper dial.

Dax clasped his hands over her ears and dragged her toward the stairs. Her insides ached as the melody faded.

Outside, he lowered his hands. "It's hard to resist Sailor's Sorrow." He guided her beneath the spheres. "The song's tempted many."

"Like a siren song?" She glanced toward the stairs, where a wanton pull tempted her to go back despite the danger.

"Not a siren song. It's an ancient Elosian song." He scanned the bridge ahead.

"It's so sad." She brushed her tears away. "And beautiful."

"Until you listen for too long and rip your eyes out of your skull."

"Say what?" She scooted farther from the entrance.

"If you hear it again—run." He stepped from the shadows, and she followed quickly. "We need to cross there." He pointed to the courtyard where they had seen the couple earlier.

The courtyard, like the center of a star, opened to five pathways, with only a few benches and shrubs to hide. She didn't like the odds. "Where is everyone?"

"It's harvest time. Most are in the waters right now."

"Most?" Her voice cracked.

"Stick close." He met her gaze. "If we run into anyone, just keep walking."

"Isn't there another way?" She looked to the other pathways.

"This is the fastest route. Stay close." Dax headed for the bridge.

She kept pace, her sparks pricking awake with each step as they crossed into the center of the courtyard. The air smelled of brine and sweet florals, bringing her back to her childhood—to the father who lost a battle with the waves. She thought of his footsteps crossing this path, the secrets and sins he held in his heart.

"Watch out." Dax tugged her off the path.

A tear-shaped balloon of water splattered along the stones.

"Water from the Earth realm." Dax cast his gaze to the swirling sky, where another drop formed above. 

"Is that the way out?" she asked.