Part 57 - In the Wars

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine."

"There's blood all over you," he pointed out.

"It's just my ear," I explained impatiently.

"I don't particularly care," Rhys shrugged. "It only takes one shot to kill you, Skye. So let's not give him anything to aim at."

One final shot echoed across the forest, followed by victory howls form a dozen or more werewolves. The pain in my ear seemed to recede a little. My would-be-assassin had been killed. And now I might never know who wanted me dead so badly.

"Do you want me to carry you back?" Rhys teased.

"Idiot." I shoved his chest and Rhys fell back, laughing his head off.

***

My ear wasn't healing. After an entire hour of constant pain, all I wanted was for my skin to knit itself back together and the bleeding to stop. Was that too much to ask? Even worse, I was feeling weaker and weaker by the second. Exhaustion? Or something worse?

And of course, there was a group of mother hens gathered around me, all crowing their concern. Instead of lying in bed, I was sat up in the council chambers, discussing how a packling got through our defences. Rhodric, Rhys and Fion were taking it in turns to casually slip into the conversation that I should be seeing a doctor.

"Why would a flockie want to kill Skye?" Ollie demanded. "She's the first rogue leader ever to recognise that we need peace with the packs. No offence, Rhodric."

"None taken," Rhodric grinned. "I take pride in being prejudiced against all things pack related."

"It wouldn't be the first time," Rhys pointed out. "Some of Jace's fighters tried to kill her at New Dawn."

"Yeah, and I fire-hosed them. That should have put them off," I argued.

"Has anyone else tried to kill you?" Fion asked. "Anyone at all?"

"It's quite a long list," I sighed. "And it might just be someone I've pissed off recently."

"Skye!" That was Leo shouting outside. I stood up too fast, and my vision blurred.

Leo shoved his way into the command room and wrapped me in a relieved hug. I buried my head in his neck, inhaling my mate's scent. The world didn't ever feel quite right when we were apart.

"What's wrong? What happened?" Leo asked, still holding me close. And I certainly wasn't complaining.

"Got shot," I mumbled into his jacket.

By the time we explained the whole story, Leo's expression had turned from worried to angry.

"I'm going to kill him," my mate growled.

"The assassin's already dead, buddy," Ollie said. "Sorry, I beat you to it."

"No, not him. Alpha Jace."

I raised my eyebrows, waiting for an explanation. If Leo was angry at Jace, that probably meant he had something to do with the attempt on my life.

Rhys growled, "You mean it was him? Son of a—"

"Jace didn't try to kill Skye," Leo interrupted. "But it's his fault."

"You know, I enjoy watching drama unfold as much as the next person," Rhodric said. "But would you mind explaining?"

"Do you remember at the Council of Alphas, when Keith tried to poison Skye?" Leo asked.

My eyes widened in realisation. "I told him that if I was going to assassinate myself I'd use a gun."