Chapter 11

Users ShadowbenderDemigod and Mannagryn1 suggested I do a "Blink" rewrite.  Although I'm not 100% sure I won't be taking a hiatus, as I am very, very discouraged with my reads, it has been taken into consideration

Rose woke up to the sound of someone clambering around outside her cell.  She sat up, her head throbbing slightly, and peered out into the dark corridor.  Before her cell stood the Emperor, a grim expression on his face and his hands behind his back.  She turned to her right and saw that the Doctor was pressed against the bars, as close as he could get to her, and was glaring at the Emperor. 

She suddenly felt as though she would never be warm enough, even though she still had the Doctor's jacket on.  It wouldn't be enough to offset the cold she felt when she looked at the Emperor.  A quick glance to her left told her that Jack was still asleep.  She probably would've been too, but she supposed she suspected she was being watched in her sleep.

"Hello," the Emperor said, his less hysterical, normal demeanor back in place.  Or, was this the fake one?  Rose didn't know and she wasn't sure if she could or should be bothered to care at this point.  Either way, he was insane.  

"Hello," Rose replied, her voice rough with sleep.

"You don't have to talk to him," the Doctor said harshly.

The Emperor turned to the Doctor and tutted him.  "Too bad, Doctor.  You see, I've done a bit of research.  Seems as though you do quite a bit of... Travelling."

The Doctor's eyes widened.  Rose turned to look at him, waiting for his response, knowing that what he had said was clearly a threat, though she wasn't sure how the fact that he knew they were travelling was a threat. 

"Where's your TARDIS?"  The Emperor asked.  

The Doctor blew out a sigh of relief.  Rose knew what that meant.  The TARDIS had disguised herself to protect herself and Rose and the Doctor.  The alien raised his head and met the steady gaze of the Emperor.  

"Obviously she doesn't want you to find her."  He said simply.  "Nothing I can do about that, even if I wanted to.  My sonic isn't strong enough to bring her out of hiding."

The Emperor made an odd humming sound and turned his attention back to Rose.  "Give your boyfriend his jacket back," he said calmly, "You're coming with me."

"Don't touch her!" The Doctor shouted.

The Emperor blinked, as though shocked at the tone that was being used with him.  "I'm not going to hurt her," he said.  "She's simply insurance.  My little pet.  Seen and not heard.  She'll be able to deliver all she hears when she returns here at night."

Rose could see the Doctor's jaw clenching from where she was and came to a decision.  If she was going to get information, this would be worth it.  She slid her arms out of the Doctor's jacket and shoved it through the bars at him.  He reached out and grabbed her wrist instead of the coat.

"Don't," he said, a warning, "How do you know he's telling the truth?"

"How do we know he's not?" She snapped back.  At the fear in his eyes, her own gaze softened. "I promise, I'll be careful."

His grip was like a vice on her and she could feel her own pulse because of it.  Slowly, he nodded and let go, removing the jacket from her hand.  "Okay," he whispered.  He watched her steadily, as though there was something else he wanted to say but wasn't about to in front of the Emperor.

The Emperor beckoned to someone out of Rose's line of sight as Jack sat up slowly, observing the scene that had started to take shape while he had been sleeping.  "Rose, don't," he said quietly.