Chapter 4

As it happened, the Emperor was the one that approached them at the end of the night, his hands clasped behind his back as he regarded Rose and the Doctor.  He might as well have had charm dripping off him, as far as Rose was concerned, and she could say safely that even though he was trying very hard, she wasn't appreciating it.

"Have you decided if you'll stay with us tonight?" He asked, his gaze flicking between them.

"We accept your very generous offer, your majesty," Rose said politely.  "We'd love to stay."

The Emperor grinned widely, "Brilliant!" His eyes drifted to Rose.  "And will you be staying... Together?"

The Doctor really wasn't sure what it was that made his stomach clench almost violently.  He reached for Rose's hand and gripped it tightly in his.  "We'll be staying together, yes, thank you, your majesty."

He was sure he wasn't imagining the way the other man's face fell and he felt a surge of anger at it.  Why was it that every young man they met had ulterior motives when it came to Rose?  It was really often beyond frustrating.  He squeezed her hand and she gave him a confused look, obviously not understanding why he would be behaving this way, and really, she had no reason to understand.  He'd never told her.  

"Ah, well, I'll have one of my servants lead you to your quarters when the party draws to its close, and you can rest for your travels tomorrow.  We will have nightclothes set out for you as well."

"Thank you for your hospitality," the Doctor said curtly.

The Emperor nodded at them, dismissing them as he went off to mingle.  The Doctor pulled Rose back into his arms and swung them into the dance that was circulating the room.  Rose gave him an odd look, as though she knew he was acting oddly, and of course she knew he was acting oddly, he was being a bit stiff, to say the least. 

"You alright?"

"That man was going to proposition you," he said quickly before he had a chance to bite the words back.  Rose rolled her eyes.  

"Oh, come on, Doctor, not every young man wants to-"

"He did, I could tell."

"I'm a big girl, Doctor, I can handle myself."

He huffed and looked over her shoulder, as though it was hard to look straight at her, and at the moment, it sort of was.  There were moments when he just wanted to snog her until she couldn't breathe anymore and this was definitely one of those moments. She looked beautiful and strong and he couldn't stand it.

The only thing he could think was that he was glad he hadn't let the Emperor touch her aside from their one, very innocent dance.

Rose, on the other hand, was beyond confused.  The Doctor flirted with every living woman or woman-esque sentient being in the universe, but the second someone showed interest in her, it was as though another world war had broken out.

He had been like this when he was all leather and ears, but it seldom happened now, and she thought she was right in questioning it, but wouldn't say anything about it.  He'd just brush it off anyway, like he did with anything.

By the end of the night, Rose and the Doctor had talked to nearly everyone in the room, and everyone thought them a rather charming couple, what with how close they were and how seamlessly they told a story together.  Rose heard one woman tell her husband what a fine young mother Rose would make.  Rose blushed and tried not to think about it. 

A man in a crisp white outfit, Rose wouldn't call it a suit, came up to them with his hands behind his back and an odd clip on his forehead.  He bowed deeply to them.  "I am to show you to your room," he said, "You are the Emperor's most honored guests."