Chapter 8

Rose was suspicious from the get-go as the Emperor led them, without guards, to the basement.  It was grey, unlike the rest of the castle, which was mostly white.  She found herself wanting to reach out and grab the Doctor's hand for reassurance, but figured he wouldn't approve.  She walked in between Jack and the Doctor, both of whom were standing very close to her.  Jack, she could tell, was standing close out of protectiveness.  Who she couldn't read was the Doctor.

The Emperor looked over his shoulder.  "Oh, loosen up!" he told them cheerfully.  "This could be a very good thing."

"I've never been to a place in the galaxy where a worldwide dictator is a good thing," the Doctor said seriously, "I'm only giving you the benefit of the doubt."

The Emperor smiled and faced forwards again, "I am glad you are giving me that, my friend."

Jack narrowed his eyes, "I'm not even sure I'm willing to give that, sir."

"Well, you really don't have to.  I just want your opinion."

"That's what you'll get from us," the Doctor replied.

The Emperor opened a steel door and walked over to a massive table in the middle of the room.  On it were maps and war plans, some scrawled over with red ink, some black.  Although it was official, it wasn't very neat.  

"You've been quiet, sweet Rose," The Emperor remarked.  Jack didn't miss how the Doctor's fists clenched at the term of endearment the other man used.

Rose gave him a passive look.  "I'm observing," she replied, oblivious to the Doctor's reaction.  

The Emperor offered her a smile.  "Come here," he said, gesturing for her to approach the table.  She hesitated for a moment before walking up to him, looking at all the plans before her.  Within about a second, Jack and the Doctor were on either side of Rose, the Doctor more behind her and peering over her shoulder.

"Explain this to us, then," Jack said calmly, "It looks like mess to me."

The Emperor held up a finger and walked to the side of the room, pressing a button on the wall to project a giant map of the world over an entire wall.  He gestured to it grandly.  "We're in Britain, as I'm sure you know," he said, "But we could have so much more," his tone was wistful and unnerved both the Doctor and Jack.

"Why do you need more?" Rose asked, "Monarchs were happy for years just ruling Britain."

"And so I must be content as well?" The Emperor arched an eyebrow.

"There isn't a reason not to be," Jack replied, "If your citizens love you, what difference does it make?"

The Emperor grinned.  "There would be more citizens to love me, Captain Harkness.  Of course, you know what it's like to be loved."

Jack fought down the smug look he had prepared for such a remark and nodded curtly instead.  "Yeah, well.  Doesn't mean I'm going to try and take over countries to get it."

"Just look at this," The Emperor walked to the projection of the map.  "Here we are," he pointed at Britain.  "And the first thing to do would be to expand across Europe.  After that, we could make our way across the sea, to America, Canada, down to Mexico!  It's brilliant really, and I've got a massive military!"  He grinned at them, not letting his smile falter when he saw the shock on their faces.  

Rose brought her hands together in front of her.  "I don't know about all this, Your Majesty," she said slowly, "You know, the Doctor said that the Earth is mostly a Republic by the year you suggested, and besides, that's year and the year we're in now are very, very far apart."

"I want to make an impression, Rose," the Emperor said, "I want to change Earth forever, not just while I'm ruling.  Can't you understand that?"

"There are other ways to be remembered," Jack said.  "I'm just not sure a war is the way."  

The Emperor narrowed his eyes.  "You'll all see, I have to show you.  Pacifism will get you nowhere and it's about time you knew that."

"I used to be a bit violent," Rose said, scratching her cheek, "But I don't think I can condone this, Your Majesty."  

"I'm not asking you to," the Emperor replied, "I'm only asking you to fight with me."

"But there's no fight here," Jack protested, picking up a document.  "Really, you could very well kill off an entire population, and I don't think you want that."

"You don't know what I want!" The Emperor shouted.  "I could want loads of things, and what I want is to take over the bloody Earth, alright?"

The Doctor stepped forward, edging himself in front of Rose.  "I'm really very sorry, Your Majesty, but we'll have to stop you."

A slow smile crept across the Emperor's face.  "Oh, come now," he said softly, "The three of you against me, and my army?  You're really very naive," he shook his head.  "I'll give you another chance."

"When we traveled together, we stood for everything good in the universe," Jack said, "Everything we did was important, and this is no different.  You can't have the whole planet, there's nothing worse than a world dictator.  People aren't individuals anymore, believe me Your Majesty, I've seen it."

"Do you see this?" The Emperor asked, now frantic.  He gestured wildly to the map.  "So much could be gained, the three of you, you could be my advisers, and wouldn't that be brilliant?  All of us, all at once, me and my friends."

Rose started a little, unnerved by his panic.  She raised her hand slowly to touch the Doctor's arm.  "Your Majesty, I really don't think-"

"Especially you, Rose, you were so kind to me at the party yesterday." the Emperor looked at her fondly.  "You made me forget that I was an Emperor at all."

"She has that effect," the Doctor said tightly, "But I'm afraid we can't let you continue on like this.  The world has to be safe."

The Emperor was breathing heavily, his eyes wild as he looked between the three of them.  Rose had to admit she was a little bit afraid; she hadn't seen him like this the night before.  Her grip on the Doctor's arm tightened, and she noticed his arm come out protectively in front of her.  

Jack took a step forward and held his hand out slowly, "It's alright, Your Majesty, calm down."

His eyes snapped to Jack.  "I thought you were my friends.  You stayed in my beds and ate my food and attended my parties and for what?  For you all to throw my ideas away?  You were never my friends, but now they're all going to be my friends, and if they don't want to, I'll kill them, do you understand me?"

"Calm down," the Doctor said lowly.  He knew the guards wouldn't be on their side if they called any, so they had to try to defuse this themselves.  "We heard your plans and we don't agree, can't you accept that?"

The Emperor ignored the Doctor entirely and glanced past him at Rose.  "You look afraid," he said softly.

Rose decided the best thing to do with this man's ego was to shove it into the dirt.  He wanted her to like him, she understood that.  She nodded and pressed her nose into the fabric at the Doctor's shoulder.  "I am."

His face fell.  "Oh," he said, "Fight with me.  Fight with me, Rose, and you won't have to be afraid.  Please."

"I'm not going with you," Rose said, "I can't justify it, and neither can the Doctor or Jack.  We'll fight against you."

The Emperor's mood changed to one of anger.  "Fine!" He roared, "Get out!  No!  Better yet, guards!" 

Jack pulled back, seeming to get ready to run, but no sooner had the Emperor yelled had three massive guards busted through the doors.  The Emperor stared at them, face red with anger.  "Take them to the dungeon!  I'll visit them later."

A guard grabbed Rose and pulled her away from the Doctor.  The Doctor fought the guard that held him as Rose was ripped from him.  

"Gentle with her!" The Doctor shouted, and Jack echoed the sentiment.

Unfortunately, the guards didn't heed any warnings, and all three of them were knocked out with clubs.