Chapter Fifteen: Improvements

– Zach –

– Zach –

There are only a few things in this world that annoy me. To keep the list short, it would be an uncooperative teammate, misplacing my room keys and being forced to engage in pointless conversations or futile gossips. There is, however, another thing that is more infuriating than all of that combined: the repetitive siren of an alarm that goes off on a what-could-have-been peaceful morning. What is even more irritating is when the alarm isn't within my reach and I have to physically get up to turn it off.

I think I have an idea of how many people can relate to that.

Yawning, I prop myself up against the bed and stretch my arms as far as possible, only to fail my objective miserably. I reluctantly get up and stab the snooze button. It was yet another sleepless night, and the fact that I'm getting used to it aggravates me. Alright, now I'm a little grumpy, but not grumpy enough to be Terra when I 'imply' she is short.

It has been two months since I've been in Glenworth. Typically, it would take me a semester at least to get used to a new environment, but as I probably already know since day one, Glenworth isn't what people refer to when they are looking for something typical.

To begin with, classes are as radical as always, especially when it's with Mr. Lee, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Working with James, again, produced unexpected results and landed us the highest scores in class at nineteen marks out of twenty. It's a refreshing change to not fail, it's even more so when expectations are surpassed.

Being forced to be extra sociable and interactive with others in Glenworth has somewhat made me accept that this institution breeds hyperactive students who do not understand much about personal space, but I'm strangely fine with it now.

What I really can't believe I'm about to admit is how GSG is growing on me, despite only attending it twice a week. Do I like the idea of being stuck in a room filled with ten other students who enjoy asking each other embarrassing questions? No, not really, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me smile, sometimes. Of course, no one has actually seen me smile. I just do it on the inside.

Penelope had successfully passed her second English recital recently, another good news in addition to her first. The club, as expected, hosted a simple celebration for her, and I thought the look on her face as well as the rest felt...rewarding.

As odd as it may be, contributing to someone's reason to be happy gives me a sense of accomplishment, and judging by the size of Terra's smile that day, she probably feels the same. This is how people are supposed to feel once they have helped someone, I suppose.

Well, it's not a bad feeling.

I go through my daily routine and pick out the grey shirt I often wear, assuming it is clean. I'm sure it is. If it isn't, I wouldn't know, so it wouldn't matter. I leave the room and spend the next fifteen minutes to reach college. As usual, Luke is the first to greet me, and also possibly the only one again.