Strangle the Heart

Mexico

"Why, Stefan?? Why??"- Bonnie cried bitter tears holding Damon's ring-"why now- now that I found him...Huh-why, why.why, why..."

Stefan held his friend trying to give her comfort.  He himself chocked with tears running down his eyes. The sadness burnt inside both of them that this time was inconsolable. 

"Why-"- Bonnie said through her tears moving out of Stefan's hug wanting an answer he couldn't give her- " I am going to bring him back"- she then said like in a trance kneeling down on the field where she collected the ashes from the field putting it in the shirt she got out of her bag.

"Bonnie- you know what the dark magic will do to you?"- Stefan then said.

"I don't care. This is not supposed to be this way- I don't understand why? This is not like him! How could he lose hope- ??"- Bonnie said walking away from the field. 

Stefan followed her. He knew what she was like and the transition from sad to anger showed now in the resolve to dabble again in dark magic. And selfishly he wanted her to do it, as the void inside of him felt like something was taking his soul away. 

In the car, Bonnie held Damon's ring in her hand so tight staring out the window as they drove off from the cursed place. She felt like someone strangled her heart and there was nothing but darkness-

  Well is it dark enough
Can you see me
Do you want me
Can you reach me
Oh, I'm leaving
You better shut your mouth
And hold your breath
And kiss me now
And catch your death
Oh, I mean this  

In New Orleans

Elijah walked in his Algiers apartment finding Elena sitting by the kitchen window with her phone in her hand completely lost in her thoughts.

"Any news?"- he asked tactically.

"Yes."- Elena said simply and he could see without her uttering any more words that things were not good.

He walked over to her and they just went into a hug. He knew oh so well what Damon meant to Elena.

"I am sorry"- he then said.

"Bonnie must be so devastated- I just- huh-"- Elena said as she squeezed him tighter. 

Elijah held her tight. 

"Bonnie is the one that deserved all the happiness- all of it!"- Elena said moving little out the hug with tears falling down her face. Elijah quietly removed them with a thumb. 

"We will be there for her"- he said. Elena nodded and now hugged him as she needed his nearness. 

****

  All the way back to Mystic Falls, Bonnie didn't say a word. Stefan had managed everything. She clenched her bag and Damon's ring like the most precious relic holding it close to her heart. Numbness had completely taken over.

Finally as the arrived back home, Caroline had met them with silence and tears. Bonnie just passed by her friend walking in the house.

"She's been like this all this time?!"- Caroline asked rhetorically.

"Yes."- Stefan said. 

"So, ahm- and you- I know it is a stupid question- oh- why?"

"If someone asks me why one more- huh- sorry- she kept saying- and - I don't know- "- Stefan said agitated.

Caroline nodded feeling his pain that he was tucking away so skillfully. 

"I- ok... I don't want to be insensitive, but I need to - get out for a moment-"- Stefan said-"You will look after her?"

"Of course"- Caroline said. 

They have been through this before. If someone shuts down with all his emotions still on, well, that is Stefan. She let him go. 

She looked at her phone as it buzzed. Elena. She quickly replied her, and then went to see Bonnie finding her sitting  on the floor leaning on her bed staring into nothingness, playing Damon's message to her from months before over and over again-

  "This is Damon. And I am sorry. I messed up. Apology comes late, but better than never, right?! I   -"

 Apology comes late, but better than never, right?! I   -"