Chapter Eight

*Dani*

  "Soldier, Ranger" I said smiling down at the too dancing puppies. "Who's my good puppies?"

  "Cute names," a man voice sounded from behind me and I screamed. "Shit, sorry."

  "Holy mother of books," I gasp when I glanced up to see Carter. "Don't do that."

  "Sorry," he said. "I thought you heard me drive up."

  "Well I didn't," I grumbled. "Where were you? I woke up this morning and you were gone and so was my truck." 

  "I went to go get my bike from Sam's house," he shrugged. "So...You names the pups Soldier and Ranger?"

  "Yes," I mumbled picking up Ranger. "Well Ranger's is Kyler's dog, I'm just watching him until his leg is healed. Some idiot ran over him and Ky is off on some mission for Grandpa Kane."

  "Cool," Carter said walking over to the coffee pot. "Want some?"

  "No," I shook my head. "I hate coffee. Are you going to answer my questions now?"

  "Ask away," Carter said sitting down on the couch beside me.

  "Why did you leave?" I asked.

  "To prove I'm nothing like my father," he said looking at me. "I was sick and tired of everyone saying that I was going to become like him. That I was going to kill you and Sam."

  "Carter," I gasped. "Your nothing like him. Sam and I always knew you were a good person."

  "I know," he smiled softly. "I guess in a way I was trying to prove it to myself too. Next question."

  "What are you doing for money now? I know before you left you were working at the diner and the bar on weekends."

  "I'm working for a small security company. I help take down drug dealers, gun toting lunatics, abusive boyfriends or husbands. Basically your everyday criminal."

  "Oh," I cringed. "Do you get hurt a lot?"

  "Yeah," he shrugged. "Couple months ago I was hit by a truck, nothing bad just a couple bruised ribs and concussion."

  "Ouch," I winced. "I don't like you getting hurt. I never did."

  "I always tried to be your protector," he shrugged setting his cup down and pulled me into his lap. "Enough questions for now, how bout we watch a movie?"

  "Ok," I mumbled before yelping. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

  "Taking you to your bedroom," he said as he walked down the hallway.

  "I can walk you know," I said smacking his back. "Put me down."

  "Ok," Carter said and the next thing I knew I was flying through the air.

  "Ahh," I screamed before landing on the bed. "Jerk."

  "But you love me," Carter smirked walking over to the movie case in the corner of my room. "How does Fast & Furious sound?"

  "Sounds good," I shrugged watching as he turned the movie on and closed the curtains. "I still hate you though."

  "That's why I'm back," he said as I aid my head on his chest. "To get my best friends back."

*Carter*

  I glanced down at Dani after the movie finished and I saw that she had fell asleep at some point, carefully I slid off the bed and headed to the kitchen only to get attacked by the pups.

  "Hey, stop that." I chuckled picking the pup up and looking at the collar, "Soldier, at least you protect Dani." Putting him down when I heard my phone go off.

"Cain," I answered not looking at the caller id since Soldier kept trying to bite my foot.

"Did you think you could stop my operation?"

"Sage," I growled. "How did you get my number?"

"I have my ways," he said. "Your little bookworm is cute. I wonder if she's a screamer."

"Your not going to touch her," I growled. "I will kill you before you get anywhere near her."

"So you care for the girl," Sage stats. "Don't worry, one of us will die."

  "Fuck," I growled and I quickly sent a text to Brice and Jake. 

  "Carter," a sleepy Dani said walking into the kitchen. "Who were you talking to?"

  "No one important," I said kissing her cheek. "I was think about going to the creek you want to come."

  "Um,"

  "Your going," I laughed. "Come on lets get changed and go."

  "Ok," she mumbled shuffling back down the hallway.

---

  "I haven't been here in forever," Dani said after we got to the lake. "I'm usually working at the bookshop or lost in a fictional world."

  "Really," I said as I walked up behind her. "So no one has done this to you in a while."

  "What are yo..." Dani started before I picked her up and ran towards the lake.

  "You need to cool off," I said as she clung to my neck.

  "CARTER DON'T!" She yelled laughing, "PLEASE DON'T DROP ME!"

  "DROP HER!" Someone yelled and when I spun to look I slipped and both of us went under.

  "Dani are you ok?" I asked worried when we came back up.

  "I'm fine," she coughed. Glancing up I saw Gina, Angel, all of her parents, and a man I didn't  recognize standing by the dock.

  "You ok, D?" the man said and Dani jerked her head up.

  "Joe?" Dani said shocked before running over and jumping him. "What are you doing here?" 

---

{Quote:

"I'm not crazy. My reality is just different than yours." -Alice in Wonderland}