He looked as if he had never felt pain, he looked as if he had been born into the stardom from a child, raised in a mansion full of singing coaches and diamond rings.

He wasn't the boy I had met a year ago.

And I didn't like the change.

Maybe I didn't want to know him after all.

The song was nearly ending, his music playing the show out. I saw people stand, teenagers behind me scream. I stood with the crowd, slowly clapping my hands too. He was good, better than amazing, but I just felt disheartened, as if he would never notice me in the crowd.

"Thank you, thank you." He was beginning to speak to the crowd, putting his hands out as an affectionate gesture. "Thank you so much New York." He grinned, the same smile he showed me when I gave him the money.

I felt angry. I was right in front of him, right underneath his chin, and he hardly even noticed me.

Was I that easy to forget?

-Time skip-

After leaving the studio, I walked into the streets, taking a defeated seat on the sidewalk bench. I looked down at my shoes, humming the tune of his song in my head.

I had secretly wanted him to notice me, throw is mic to the floor, and run to tackle me in a hug. I wanted to feel his warmth, his gratitude. But I was left feeling depressed, a sense of worthlessness, as if I was never really needed by him.

He said he would repay me, but where was my thank you? Was it in the words of a song? Or maybe in the fortune he had earned himself.

I just wanted his friendship.

Was that too much to ask for?

I began to rise from my perch, slowly walking through the streets of New York. My head hung low, and I clutched the free CD we all received at the show, reading the various songs this boy had written.

"CONNOR WAIT!" I was suddenly snatched from my thoughts, as I stopped dead in my tacks, spinning on my heal to face the very person I couldn't stop thinking about.

"T-Troye?" I mumbled, my face a picture of shock as he gripped my shoulders. "Y-You remember me?" I was stumped for words, biting on my lip with nerves as he pulled me into a hug.

"How could I forget you Connor? How could you leave without saying something to me? I saw you in the crowd and my heart melted." He was grinning into my shirt like an idiot, taking my hand with the same smile he did a year ago.

This time though, I pulled away.

"You managed to rise to fame, become some sort of pop sensation, and you didn't even think to text me? You promised you would stay in touch!" I felt my anguish rise, and I gulped it back, in a bid to withhold my composure.

"I-I wanted to surprise you." He muttered, looking upset as I got distressed.

"What?"

"I wanted to thank you properly. I thought that if I got back on my feet, I could show you what you really did for me, how you saved my life. You said that my happiness was all the thanks you needed, and I didn't want to thank you until I was truly in that place."