Chapter Thirty Three

Castiel woke up crying. He sat up and wiped his damp cheeks with the back of his hand. Castiel was vaguely aware that an arm was wrapped around his waist, Dean, but he couldn't get his brothers faces out of his head. They were crying...I wonder if they're crying now. He felt the arm around his hips tighten then let go. Castiel looked down and saw Dean's eyes fluttering open. Dean was squinting up at him. "Cas?" He questioned with sleep heavy voice. Castiel didn't answer, he felt another tear slip from his eye and quickly swiped it away. Why am I crying? Jesus Christ, it was just a dream.  The motion caught Dean's attention and he sat up too.

"Hey, hey- Castiel? Are you okay?" Castiel nodded, but didn't actually respond. This seemed to worry his boyfriend. "You're crying." Dean brought his hand up to Castiel's cheek, and the other boy pulled his head away.

"I'm fine, Dean." His voice betrayed him however, it cracked on Dean's name, making it obvious that he had been crying, and that he was not okay. Castiel could see Dean's almost frightened expression through the darkness of the room.

"Is it your brothers?" Of course it is, Dean. What else would it be? You? Come on, you're the best thing in my life right now. Castiel just nodded. "They're going to be okay. You're going to be emancipated and the government will find out about all the bad things Michael's done. Aren't the lawyers trying to get them in a foster home? They'll be safe there, then you can file for custody. It'll all be alright." Castiel said nothing. Was it all going to be alright? Everything was taking a long time, he has to get approved, he needs to get three hundred dollars, a job, and even then any judge can turn down his request for custody. Why can't Dean see everything that could go wrong?

"Do you want to go back to sleep...it's-" Dean paused to check the alarm clock on the bedside table. "Only four fifty eight." Castiel heard the smile in Dean's voice. Castiel knew that Dean was still tired and wanted to go to sleep, so he let out a sigh and moved to bury his head in Dean's chest. Dean wrapped his arms around Castiel's shoulders and gave a little laugh. "Tired?" Dean asked as he laid back down with Castiel on top of him. Castiel hummed in response. He was tired...so very tired, but he knew he wouldn't be able to fall asleep for at least an hour, probably more.

Dean was petting Castiel's hair. It was soothing, Castiel enjoyed it. His fingers carded through Castiel's dark, soft strands. Castiel was breathing deeply in Dean's scent, he was relaxed, his peace reminded him of when he took the painkillers, except this is better, Castiel thought. It was quiet and he was calm even though his mind could be running wild with all the problems in his fucked up life. He felt Dean's hand slow down as he was falling back asleep.

A few days had passed since Castiel's brothers were "abducted" (it's in quotations because technically it was legal, and cannot be considered an actual abduction). It was a weekend as of now, Dean suggested sleeping in, Castiel was all in for it, but then he had a nightmare about his dead parents and his crying brother, and then the fact that he had to fill out paperwork and talk to lawyers and child service workers. But then there was Dean, right below him, breathing softly, smelling like he always does, soothing his nerves. God, he doesn't even know what he does for me...I love him so much.

---

Castiel ended up falling asleep after Dean. He had begun to think too much however, so he had put in some headphones and listen to music. It helped him relax enough so he could finally rest a bit after his nightmare.

When he woke up Dean wasn't beside him. He thought it was odd, especially since it wasn't that late, only nine o'clock on a Saturday. Castiel sat up and stretched, yawning into his hand and hearing a satisfying pop from his back. He took out his earbuds and threw the covers off of himself. He stepped out of the bed and started walking into the kitchen. Dean was there, he had a plate in front of him, Castiel walked closer till he could tell what was on it.

"You're having pie for breakfast?" 

Dean looked up from his phone, a fork full of cherry filling and crust was halfway to his lips. His eyes were wide for a second then he relaxed into a smile.

"I'd have pie every meal of the day if it was social acceptable." Castiel gave a small laugh.

"Who wouldn't?"

"My brother." Dean's tone was full of judgment.

"Sam? Does he not like pie?"

"It's not that he doesn't like it, it's just that he'd rather eat rabbit food instead."

"What?" Castiel asked with a laugh.

"Like salads and other vegetables." Dean explained with a disgusted face. Castiel gasped.

"Oh, God no, not salads." Castiel sat down across from Dean. Dean nodded his head solemnly.

"I'm afraid so." Castiel laughed.

"That monster." Dean laughed with Castiel and smiled at him.

"Promise me you won't let me turn into him."

"What? A healthy, upstanding citizen?" Dean grimaced at the words.

"Exactly."

"I promise."

Dean smiled again and leaned over the table to rest his hand on Castiel's cheek. Castiel's face was starting to heat up. Dean brought his face closer, lips only a mere centimeter from Castiel's. "Good," Dean breathed out, his word a whisper, the closeness seeming to valuable to speak any louder. Dean closed the space and their lips connected. The kiss barely started before it was interrupted.

"Jesus Dean, what the hell, people eat there!" Dean and Castiel pulled away at the same time, both looking over at Sam. Dean laughed while Castiel quickly turned his gaze downward, this is the second time, how many more times is Sam going to walk in on us? 

"Speak of the devil." Dean murmured, but not quiet enough for Sam to miss it.

"Wait, you guys talking about me?" Sam looked at the both of them. "You guys were talking about me and making out? What the hell?" Dean laughed again and Castiel just stared at him still stuck in shock.

Oh, this is awkward.