This was all new information reaching my ears at once. My father was supposed to be the owner of a machinery shop, but I knew that was only his side job. Robin and I weren't stupid so we did find out he worked for the CIA; however, we never truly found out what his exact position was until after high school graduation. Yet, all he told Rob and I was that he dealt with recruitment of talented individuals under the CIA.  As the director of his department, my father made multiple connections all over the globe, and I am now assuming that this Lucian Barsetti worked with him. Thus, I'm beginning to understand why Barsetti is a dangerous man.

"I can only say so much because the more I say, the more danger you are in. My father says after a pause. "I know how this sounds, but I-we all need to think this through. There is not any room for impulsive decisions anymore."

"Now, going back to the safety issue..." My mother elaborates on the topic on hand. "We've decided it's better if we all stick together back in our home city. The pros outweigh the cons and we have exhausted all other choices."

"I understand what you all are getting at, but you're asking us to put a stop on our careers right here. Not all of us have decided to walk down the family business lane." Lia's clear voice enters the room. "We can all have an input on this decision, right? This is what this meeting is for? To discuss Barsetti and how to ensure the safety of our immediate family members." 

"That is correct. We have been in your positions before, so we know exactly what we are asking each and every one of you." Tony slows his words down as he speaks.

All this time, I'm trying to process all the information. I'm currently in the most important time of my life. I would almost say it's the prime of my life as I'm in the middle of college. I cannot take a hiatus; that is a lot that my family is asking for. I want to continue my education and graduate in due time. Will I even be in danger on campus with over 40,000 students? All of us can handle ourselves. My parents took Robin and I to self-defense classes, and that's only the beginning. Yet, I do know the dangers that they are talking about. 

I'm conflicted. Do I get a say in this? From what I'm hearing, they want to listen and hear our opinions but their decision seems final. 

I glance at the scene around me. Everyone discusses the topic at hand in a concentrated manner. The atmosphere isn't tense, but it's definitely not casual. I can see my cousins really getting into the conversation, which makes sense since it is our lives we are talking about.

I glance at the ocean outside the window. It's almost pitch black outside, except for the lights illuminating the pier and the oil rigs far away. 

I squint outside the windows as I spot a flash of light, almost like a beam. Perhaps it's headlights? I don't think much of it until I see a pair of headlights closer to the windows. I think it's a car driving on the sand? 

I don't know why but there's something off. My parents always tell me to trust my instincts.

"Hey dad?" I call out. When he seems preoccupied, I raise my voice more,"Hey Dad." He looks at me questioningly. 

"Do people drive on the sands at night so close to the houses?" I point to the pair of headlights now coming closer at a rapid speed. My dad squints and stands up. Everyone in my family starts looking in his direction.

"GET DOWN!" My father yells suddenly as we all throw ourselves down onto the ground or for any cover. I throw my body over the coach and squish myself next to the cabinet. Rob and the twins had the same thoughts too as Rob throws himself right on top of me. 

A second later the windows shatter to pieces. My ears ring at the sudden explosion. Bits and pieces of glass bounce off me. I gasp as a huge shard of glass whistles past my ear and stabs itself an inch away from my face.