Chapter 24: Past Mistakes

Start from the beginning

Guests were all around the spacious halls in their Sunday best: large, full skirted gowns with corsets that made their waists look tiny; black ties and monkey suits with white to cream colored dress shirts; and only the best footwear.

Capriano followed his brother's arrogant stride to a crowd of women in the far left.

"Good evening ladies," he said, bowing in a faux gentlemen-like manner.

The group of women simultaneously flushed, their pale cheeks turning an unflattering red, and fanned themselves. Well, all except for one.

Capriano caught his breath as he laid his eyes onto the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.

She had dark, auburn hair that captured the light of the room perfectly. Her skin, the color of porcelain, flawless. Her body, synched tightly into a corset, looked flawless in her midnight blue gown of utter perfection. But the thing that enchanted him more than her flawless skin, or her luscious raven hair, was her eyes, the color of clover. Capriano had never seen eyes more peculiar or more beautiful in his lifetime. They radiated both light and silent seduction. She had him, and she hadn't spoken a word.

Ignoring the other girls, Capriano walked directly to the beauty immune to his brother's charms and held out his hand. When she laid her perfect palm in his hand, he was engulfed with an unexplainable feeling that sent his heart on overload, momentarily distracting him. Peaking to see her reaction, his heart fluttered faster when he saw that she felt the feeling too.

His hands clasped around her palm and he bowed politely, kissing her porcelain skin.

"Good evening, Madame," he said, his tone laced with unexpected seduction.

"Good evening, sir," she said. Her velvet voice sounded like heaven to him.

Aching to hear more he said, "My name's Capriano Delguard."

"And mine, Elizabeth Van Cleef." There it was again, that unexplainable otherworldly feeling arising in him as their eyes met. Black on clover.

They stood there staring into each other's eyes, unable to break their gaze, unable to breath a word.

"Come on, brother. Father's arrived. And you know how he likes his entourage," Cameron said, the sound of his voice startling him.

Capriano gulped and said, "It's been an honor to meet you, Ms. Van Cleef."

"The same here, Mr. Delguard."

"Call me, Capriano. It's better-"

"Sexier," his brother interjected.

She giggled under her hand. The act sent a wave of arousal and adoration through him. Capriano was baffled.

"Call me, Elizabeth," she said, he still couldn't get enough of her voice and the way her full, pouty lips curved seductively with every syllable.

"Hopefully we'll see each other again, Elizabeth," he said, just to hear more of her voice and to say her name.

"If it's God's will," she said, a seductive smile hanging on her lips.

"Come on, brother," Cameron said, breaking his gaze away from her.

Capriano turned around and headed to his father. All the while turning his neck to see her one last time. Her gaze never left him.

"Capriano pursuing a lady?! What is this world coming to?" His brother said in a mocking tone.

"I am not pursuing her, brother."

"Why not. She is quite a catch. And if you don't, I will-"

"Don't you dare!"

"Easy there, brother. If you want her, she's yours. Besides, I have, uhm, other plans for the night," he said with that cocky smile displayed on his face, all the while turning to meet the eyes of a dashing blond in a pale pink gown.