Chapter 42: Suspicions

After bringing Scorpius and Jean to school Hermione had driven back to home to wait there for Ginny. Ginny had asked if she had time to drink a cuppa and Hermione didn't work on Tuesdays, so she figured why not. Hermione put the kettle on the fire and took the tin with the cookies Jean and herself made the past weekend out of the cupboard. The doorbell rang and Hermione placed the tin on the kitchen counter and walked towards the hallway before opening the door. 'Good morning!' Ginny grinned, giving Hermione a quick hug.
'Good morning.' Hermione chuckled, taking a step aside to let Ginny pass. 'How are you?'
'Oh just fine.' Ginny smiled. 'How about you, Malfoy?'
'I'm good.' Hermione smiled, following Ginny into the kitchen after Ginny had hung her coat. Ginny turned around, waiting for Hermione to get two mugs.
'Have you received any news from Narcissa?' Ginny asked.
'No, not yet.' Hermione answered, shaking her head. 'Should I have?'
Ginny shrugged. 'I guess not.'
'Do you know something I don't?' Hermione asked, raising her eyebrows.
'It's not that I know something, I just suspect something.'
'And what might that be?'
'Did you know James had a girlfriend?'
'Had?' Hermione asked.
Ginny nodded. 'He told me just before he left for school again that he had a girlfriend, but he'd break up with her when he got back.'
'So you only just knew?'
Ginny nodded again.
'How long did this relationship last?' Hermione asked.
'I have no idea, he wouldn't give me any details.'
'Do you know who his girlfriend was?'
Ginny shook her head. 'He didn't want to tell me that either.'
'Did he tell you why he'd break up with this girl?'
'Not really. He said he didn't like her.' Ginny sighed.
'Anymore?' Hermione asked.
'He didn't use the word "anymore".' Ginny shrugged. 'That's the odd thing.'
'That's the odd thing? Don't you find it odd he doesn't want to give you any details?'
'Well, my guess is that he likes someone else.' Ginny said.
'Why would you think that?'

'By the way he acted.' Ginny stated.
'What do you mean?'
'Didn't you notice he didn't come over as often as he used to, especially in the summer break?'
'Yes, but was he seeing someone during the summer?'
Ginny shook her head. 'No he wasn't, I think he was trying to avoid someone.'
'Who?' Hermione asked confused.
'Your daughter.'
'You think James likes Narcissa?'
'No Jean.'
Hermione raised her eyebrows.
'Yes Narcissa!' Ginny exclaimed.
'And you think this to be true, just because James didn't want to come over? He's getting older, perhaps he just didn't want to tag along with his parents and younger siblings?'
'Could be, but it seems unlikely for some reason.' Ginny shrugged. 'I don't know, Hermione, my gut just tells me James might like Narcissa. I don't know for sure if this is true, but it could be.'
Hermione furrowed her eyebrows. 'I don't know if Narcissa likes him like that.'
Ginny shook her head. 'You mean because she's together with Christopher?'
Hermione nodded. 'She seems to be very fond of him.'
'I guess we'll just have to wait and see if something happens then.' Ginny said.
'I guess you're right.' Hermione chuckled.

'James?' Narcissa said. James looked up from his book and raised his eyebrows when he saw it was Narcissa who called him.
'Hey.'
Narcissa sat down opposite him. 'Hey, what are you doing here?'
'Just reading.' James shrugged. 'What are you doing here?'
'I heard about Zoë.' Narcissa said.
James stared at her for a moment, motionless. 'Uh, okay.'
'What happened?'
James shrugged. 'Nothing really.'
'Why did you break up with her?' Narcissa asked.
'I didn't like her.'
'Anymore?' Narcissa added, slightly raising her eyebrows.
James stared at her before shrugging.
'She likes you, you know?' Narcissa said.
'What are you trying to say Narcissa?' James sighed.
'I'm just trying to figure out what happened that made you break up with her.'
'Why? It's not like you like the girl.'
'She hasn't been very nice to me, no, but that doesn't mean you can't like her.'
'I don't like her, okay? Can we stop talking about this now?' James asked irritated.
'If that's what you want.' Narcissa shrugged. 'But you can talk to me, if you want. We're friends after all.'
James slowly nodded as his eyes turned back to the page in front of him on the table. Narcissa scanned his face as his eyes dart over the page, too hastily for him to be able to really process what he's seeing.
'Why did you even start something with Zoë if you didn't like her?' Narcissa asked, making James look up at her again.
James stared at her for a moment in silence, not sure how to answer this question.
'I-' he started.
'Hey.'
Both Narcissa and James looked up and see Albus walk up to them. 'Hey Albus.' Narcissa smiled. 'How are you?'
'Fine.' Albus nodded, stopping next to her. 'What are the two of you doing here?'
'Just chatting.' Narcissa shrugged, her eyes darting to James.
'You know there are better places to chat than a library?' Albus stated, raising his eyebrows.
'You're right.' Narcissa nodded, offering him a small smile. 'I'm off anyway.' she said, getting up from her seat. 'You know where to find me if you need someone to talk to.' she told James, offering him a smile before leaving the two boys alone. 

A/N

Ooooh snap! Ginny thinks James likes Narcissa! But is this really the truth? Or is James hiding something else? And in case he does like Narcissa, does she like him back or is all of this just one big misunderstanding? 

SORRY! it took literally longer than I had anticipated! I'm literally at loss of inspiration and it just doesn't want to come, bloody writer's block, dammit. Well at least there was a little inside into Hermione's morning.

I hope the chapter isn't as shitty as I think it is and still enjoyed it! I literally have no clue how you all are still reading this, because it's literally not my best work. I hope when inspiration comes I can rewrite the past few chapters to make them better! I also hope the writer's block will leave my life in the upcoming two weeks so I can write a new, better, chapter for you all :) 

I'll update as soon as possible!

lots of love

xx