Chapter 41: Information from an unexpected source

Elizabeth walked towards the common room where Narcissa and Isobelle were making their homework. When she entered she immediately headed over to her best friends and let herself fall in between them on the couch. 'Good afternoon.'
Narcissa turned to look at her and raised her eyebrows. 'What happened?'
'What? Why would something have happened?' Elizabeth asked.
'I know that face Lizzie, something happened. Spill.' Narcissa said.
'A little birdy told me someone broke up with someone.'
'Who broke up with who?' Isobelle asked.
'James broke up with Parkinson.' Elizabeth practically squealed.
'What?' Narcissa and Isobelle exclaimed in unison. 'When?'
'Apparently he broke up with her last night after dinner.'
'But that's the first moment he saw her after we arrived back at Hogwarts.' Isobelle said.
'Did they meet up during the holidays?' Elizabeth asked.
'I don't know.' Narcissa shrugged. 'I only saw James during Christmas and New year's eve.'
'Have you been able to pull an answer out of him?' Isobelle asked.
'I'm telling you, he wanted to tell her he likes her.' Elizabeth stated.
'No he didn't.' Narcissa sighed. 'He barely talked to me for months. How would someone like someone else and voluntarily not talk to them for months?' Narcissa said.
'I don't know how guys think, but I'm telling you: he definitely likes you.' Elizabeth said.
'Iso.' Narcissa groaned.
'I have to agree with Lizzie.' Isobelle said.
'Seriously?'
Isobelle nodded. 'Didn't he start acting weird when you started to be around Christopher a lot?'
'Well, yes-'
'See! I told you!' Elizabeth grinned broadly.
'That doesn't say anything.' Narcissa defended.
'He was jealous.'
'It doesn't matter either way.' Isobelle said. 'Right? I mean you're with Christopher.'
Narcissa turned to look at Isobelle and slowly nodded. 'Exactly.'
'Alright then, if you say so.' Elizabeth shrugged. 'Have you talked to him after he wanted to tell you something?'
'Just small talk during New year's eve.' Narcissa shrugged. 'I didn't see him during the train ride back.'
'Didn't you see him at the platform?' Isobelle asked.
Narcissa shook her head. 'No, the Potters had arrived before we did so James was probably already in the train.'
'Suspicious, isn't it?' Elizabeth said, raising one eyebrow.
'Lizzie.' Narcissa warned.
'Alright, alright.' Elizabeth chuckled, raising her hands in defence. 'I'll stop- for now.'
Isobelle chuckled and Narcissa rolled her eyes, leaning back against the couch. 'Why don't you go talk to him before dinner? You could ask him about Parkinson.' Isobelle suggested.
'I don't know.' Narcissa shrugged.
'What do you have to lose? Don't you want your friendship with James back?' Isobelle asked.
'Yes.'
'Well maybe you'll have to be the one to take the first step.' Isobelle shrugged.
Narcissa slowly nodded. 'I guess you're right.'
'Of course I am.' Isobelle winked.

'Alright.' Narcissa sighed, pushing herself off the couch and placing her book on the table. 'I'll be right back. Lizzie, do you know where James is?'
'On my way back I saw him walk towards the library.'
Narcissa nodded and walked to the exit of the common room, only to bump into someone just as she wanted to step out into the corridor. 'I'm sorry.'
'Don't be.'
Narcissa looked up and saw Christopher standing in front of her. 'Where were you headed?' he asked, smiling down at her.
'To the library.'
'Do you want me to join you?' he asked.
'No, that's all right. I'll be right back.'
Christopher nodded and pressed a kiss to her cheek before passing her and disappearing into the common room. Narcissa walked down the stairs, hoping James would still be in the library when she'd arrive. Just as she passed the last corner she bumped into someone, again. 'I'm so sorry!' she said, looking up to see who the unfortunate person was this time.
'Watch where you're going!' Zoë snapped. Narcissa raised her eyebrows when she saw Zoë's face. Her eyes were swollen and red and it seemed like she had been crying just a few seconds before she ran into Narcissa.

'Are you okay?' Narcissa asked, surprised to see Zoë in such a fragile state.
Zoë narrowed her eyes at Narcissa and pressed her lips into a thin line. 'Mind your own business.' she snapped eventually, quickly storming past Narcissa.
'I heard about James.' Narcissa called after her. Zoë stopped in her track, but kept her back to Narcissa. 'I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out between the two of you.'
'I'm sure you are.' Zoë muttered.
'Do you want me to go talk to him?' Narcissa offered.
Zoë slowly turned around to face her. 'What?'
'I could talk to him, try to find out what made him break up with you.'
Zoë slightly flinched at the words "break up with you", but kept her posture straight. 'And then what?'
'I don't know.' Narcissa shrugged. 'Maybe I could change his mind.'
'Why would you do that?'
'Because I don't like seeing people hurt.'
Zoë stared at Narcissa for a moment in silence. 'Why would you want to help me? I've been nothing but horrible towards you.'
'Because I know deep down you're a good person.' Narcissa said, offering her a small smile. Zoë frowned, her eyes drifting off to the ground. 'If you feel like you need someone to talk to, I'm often in the library.' Narcissa said, turning around to continue walking towards the library.
'I didn't like him at first, you know?' Zoë called after her.
Narcissa stopped and turned back. 'What do you mean?'
'I didn't like him when I asked him out.'
'You didn't?'
Zoë shook her head, stepping closer to Narcissa.
'Why did you ask him out then?'
'To get back at you.'
Narcissa raised her eyebrows. 'Why?'
Zoë sighed and shrugged. 'I don't know. I was angry and I thought the best way to hurt you was by getting close to James.'
'You used James?'
'At first I did, then I started to like him.'
Narcissa furrowed her eyebrows. 'Does James know this?'
'I think he does.' Zoë nodded. 'But I think he said yes to me for his own reasons.'
'I'm not following?'
'I think he tried to make a point to someone, or make someone jealous.' Zoë said, looking up at Narcissa. 'I think he tried to make you jealous.'
'He wouldn't. We're just friends.' Narcissa groaned, getting sick of hearing James might like her. If he did, he would've told her.
'That's the way I experienced it.' Zoë shrugged. 'Do what you want with it.'
Narcissa looked up at her. 'Are you okay?'
Zoë shrugged again. 'It's silly to cry over such a thing, I know it is.'
'It's not.'
Zoë offered her something that came close to a smile. 'This interaction doesn't mean we're friends now.'
'Naturally.' Narcissa nodded.
'Okay then. I'll be on my way again.'
Narcissa turned around and walked further to the library, in search of James.

A/N

Daaaaamn that took way too long for me to finish a new chapter! I did survive my week of exams, just one more assignment to go and the next semester starts and the stress and the busy schedule starts all over again :/ 

So Zoë seemed to have started to have some feelings for Mr. James Potter, but why did James break up with her? And why now? Are Elizabeth and Isobelle right? Does he really like Narcissa or did he have another reason? 

Thank you for your patience and I'll do my best to finish a new chapter as soon as I can! 

Lots of love

xx