Chapter 39: Winter

Chapter 39: Winter

Winter had made its appearance and snow was slowly falling down to the ground. The students were already getting excited for their Christmas break, in which they would go back home to celebrate Christmas with their families, or they'd stay at Hogwarts to celebrate Christmas at school. Narcissa had been looking forward to seeing her family again and she couldn't wait to introduce Christopher to her parents. Well, she was excited to introduce him to her mother, to her father- not so much. She asked Christopher if he'd want to come over a day before Christmas to meet her family and her mother had immediately invited him to stay for Christmas dinner. Christopher had kindly declined, telling Narcissa to let her mother know that he would've loved to spend Christmas with them, but he had a tradition to make his special Christmas pie together with his grandmother for desert and he couldn't leave her doing that by herself, especially since his grandmother wasn't feeling very well lately. Hermione had immediately send her daughter a letter back in which she told her she totally understood and if he would change his mind he'd be welcome. Narcissa clutched her book against her chest as she walked down the corridor towards the entrance of the Great Hall where Christopher would be waiting for her. Ever since their date at the end of September they had been growing closer and closer. They had been great friends ever since Narcissa joined the Quidditch team in her first year and in her second year she started to pick up on his flirtatious ways towards her, but she had always just brushed it off as a Christopher-thing. The way he teased her from time to time or how he would nod as he looked at her while she was talking to him, a smile playing at the corners of his lips. She started to develop a crush on him over the years and when he asked her out that day in the train she had to admit she was rather taken aback by this, but happy nonetheless and still had been a nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach, she just didn't know why. Christopher had been great over the past three months and she couldn't feel happier when she was with him. Narcissa neared the Great Hall and when she passed the last corner she saw James and Zoë walk up to her. Narcissa gave them a small smile and a nod, but didn't receive anything back as a greeting, just a nasty glance from Parkinson and a blank face from James. She didn't have enough time to read what was playing behind that blank mask, because she did saw something in his eyes, but still continued on her way, shaking the thoughts off. Word got around fast when a few students had seen James and Zoë together in The Three Broomsticks that one day. A week after that Narcissa had seen them holding hands in the hallway when she was on her way towards the Ravenclaw common room after having eaten a quick breakfast. She wanted to stop James to talk to him and ask him what was going on, but she kept herself from doing so when she saw the amusement in Zoë's eyes as she had looked at her. Narcissa had kept on walking towards the Ravenclaw common room and had tried to get her mind off of it and luckily Christopher had kept her company, which had made it easier to push the thoughts away. Over the week after that students had been spreading rumours as to why James would go for Parkinson. Narcissa had heard stories about Parkinson having made him a love potion and how she must've paid him off to act like her boyfriend so she would seem more likeable. Narcissa had just shaken her head at these rumours and had walked on, not paying much attention to them. She felt like it wasn't her business and she should stay out of it and so she did. She missed talking to James and she still had no idea why he had been, and still was, acting so odd. She wanted her friend back, the fun James with his stupid jokes which she secretly thought were actually quite funny. The James she could share stuff with and who would listen to her. The James who would also come to her to talk and just talk on and on about nothing in particular. She missed her friend, but from the looks of it, the guy she knew was gone or at least very far away.
'There you are.' Christopher smiled when he saw her walking up to him. Narcissa looked up at him and smiled. 'Hey, sorry it took so long, I had to help Isobelle with finding her shoe.'
'She lost her shoe?' Christopher chuckled, draping his arm around her shoulders.
'Yes, we eventually found it underneath the couch in the common room.'
'Odd place to store your shoes.'
Narcissa chuckled and shook her head. Christopher planted a kiss to the side of her head as they walked into the Great Hall. 'Clara told me to tell you that training will still take place this afternoon. To quote her "I don't care if your bum freezes off, you're going to mount that bloody broom and you're going to train whether you like it or not.".' Christopher said.
'Please tell me you didn't comment on the bum-freezing-off part?'
'Of course I did! I told her it would be a good ol' shame to let this bum freeze off, it's a great bum if I may say so myself.' Christopher winks.
Narcissa laughed. 'Good job Hobbs, she's going to make training a living hell for you today.'
'Nothing I can't handle.' he grinned.
'Good.' Narcissa chuckled, looking up at him and pressing a kiss to his lips.

Elizabeth ran through the corridors down to the Great Hall for breakfast. She dropped down next to Narcissa and took a deep breath in. 'Close call.' she breathes.
'You still have fifteen minutes to have breakfast, you'll be fine.' Narcissa chuckled, patting her best friend on the shoulder.
'Okay, so I might have it all figured out.' Elizabeth said.
'What did you figure out this time?' Isobelle asked.
'What's up with James Potter.' Elizabeth states.
'You really can't just give it a rest, now can you?' Narcissa asked.
'No, when I start something; I finish it.' Elizabeth told her sternly, placing her notebook next to her plate.
'Hey Narcissa.'
Narcissa turned around to see Albus Potter walk between the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor table to his friends.
'Hey Albus.' Narcissa smiled before turning back to her friend. Elizabeth grabbed French toast and placed it on her plate before reaching for the jam.
'Well?' Isobelle asked.
Elizabeth looked up and her eyes landed on Christopher who was talking to Rosie, the keeper of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team. 'Not here.' Elizabeth said, shaking her head. 'I'll tell you after breakfast.'

'Spill.' Isobelle said after they left the Great Hall when breakfast was finished. Narcissa had said goodbye to Christopher and Rosie before following the two girls. Elizabeth tucked her notebook in the pocket of her cloak and nodded ass he looked around them to see if there were any eavesdroppers. 'Okay.' she says quietly. 'My theory of him liking Narcissa is still on the top of my list, so I think James is "dating",' Elizabeth said, making quotation marks in the air. 'Parkinson, to me you jealous.'
'That's all?' Narcissa asked.
'What do you mean?'
'You couldn't just tell us this during breakfast?' she asked.
'No, I didn't think you would want Christopher to hear this.'
Isobelle slowly nodded. 'You know what, it could be true. Guys are weird, so I wouldn't be surprised.'
'James wouldn't do that and he doesn't like me. If he would've liked me he wouldn't have ignored me for all those months.' Narcissa stated.
'Yes, that's still odd, indeed.' Elizabeth slowly nodded. 'I could just ask him-'
'No, you're not going to ask him.' Narcissa quickly said. 'Just give it a rest, Lizzie. I'm fine, if he doesn't want to be friends anymore, that's his choice.'
'But you two were always having fun. I just want you to be happy.' Elizabeth said.
'And I appreciate that, but I'm happy.' she smiled.
Elizabeth sighed and nodded. 'Alright, mission Potter is off the table.'
'Thank you, now come on, our class is about to start.' Narcissa said, looping her arm around Elizabeth's and Isobelle's.

A/N

hi there

Okay, so I survived my exams and now it appears that my second quarter is even crazier than the first! D: The little time that I had left is now gone and I just hope I'll be able to keep writing and updating every other week

I'll do my very best not to disappoint you all!

And omg! Adele's new album, 25, it's so awesome! I absolutely love it! <3

that's all I guess, so I'll do my best to update not next Saturday, but the Saturday after that!

lots of love

xx