Chapter Seventeen

The ambulance arrived, along with Gus, Juliet, and Karen. The responders quickly whisked the two bodies away on gurneys, and Shawn was left sitting shocked in a pool of blood. Juliet immediately rushed to his side. "Hey, Shawn, do you want me to take you to the hospital? It's all over now. We have Khan, and we have Sylar." Shawn nodded numbly, so Juliet helped him up and guided him to the car.

Karen sighed and looked around the scene, sighing. This is going to be a long night.

**********

They arrived at the hospital, Gus right behind them. Shawn hadn't bothered to change, so a bunch a nurses rushed over when they saw him covered in blood. Gus ushered them away, "He's fine. We're here for a Carlton Lassiter. He got shot not too long ago." The nurses looked like they didn't believe him about Shawn, considering the blood stained clothing, the dark circles under the eyes, and the disheveled hair. Eventually, after much pleading from Gus and Juliet, the nurses ushered them inside and led them to outside an OR.

"Stay here. You can't go in. And sir, you need to come with me for a moment," one of the nurses ordered softly, holding his hand out to Shawn. Shawn took it without questioning, Juliet and Gus did that.

"Who are you and where are you taking him?" Juliet asked defensively.

"I'm William Lestrade, I'm a nurse here. I'm just taking him to a room really quick to clean him up and then I'm going to try and help him get to sleep, because in a state of shock, that can be hard to do sometimes." Juliet nodded in approval. "Can he stay here over night? Just in case, because he does look quite ill." She nodded again. He squeezed Shawn's hand quickly to alert the man that they were moving, and then proceeded to head towards an empty general room for Shawn.

"Sir, what's your name?" Shawn didn't reply. "Okay, well I'm going to go get a hospital gown for you, okay? Can you take off your dirty clothes by yourself?" Silence. "I'll be right back. Oh, and my name is William Lestrade, if you didn't hear earlier. But you can call me Will." Will disappeared into the room's closet to grab a gown, and when he came back in the room, he almost missed it.

Shawn, after studying Will, came to the conclusion that he was trustworthy. His voice came out as barely a whisper, "Shawn."

"Shawn? Is that your name?" Shawn nodded. "It's a nice name. So, that man, is he your partner?"

"Friend," Shawn replied, his voice still very quiet with no signs of getting higher. He had gotten up and was now slowly removing his shirt, but was crinkling his face in pain as well.

"Here, let me help with that," Will said. He walked over to Shawn and slowly lifted the shirt over the psychic's head, and then he noticed the huge bruise that had formed from the connection between him and Lassiter. He didn't get spiritually shot, but he got half of the damage. "Oh my god, what happened here?"

"Hard to explain," Shawn muttered. He slipped the gown over his exposed skin and laid down softly in the bed. Almost immediately, his eyes closed and he slipped into a deep, dreamless sleep.

**********

Juliet wandered around aimlessly in the halls of the hospital, her face streaked with tear trails. She looked without observing into all of the rooms, seeing newborn babies leaving with their family, and seeing elders leaving their family. She continued walking until she noticed she was in the cafeteria. She went to text Gus and ask if he wanted anything, but noticed that Gus had already texted her. It read, Jules, where are you? Lassie...

Her eyes widened and she raced upstairs. Gus looked at her. "Where were you?"

"I - I needed to get away! What happened to Carlton?!" She asked hysterically, grabbing his arms and shaking him.

"We had a scare, but he's stable now. Okay? Relax, he's gonna make it," Gus whispered, placing his hands lightly on her shoulders. She took a few deep breaths and composed herself. "Wanna go find Shawn and that Lestrade guy? I can stay here."

"Yeah, uh, that would be nice," she said, nodding. She hugged Gus and wandered away to reception.