Chapter Fifteen

"He wasn't? I guess that would explain Moseley," Chief Vick commented, while Juliet just looked at Shawn. But him saying those words aloud had triggered a vision, a real vision.

Juliet hovered over him, waiting for him to wake up. She felt him gasping for air, and shook him awake. "Shawn, are you okay?!"

He caught his breath and looked at her. "Yeah. And I know the name of our guy. Sylar's buddy is named Khan. Khan Carlton. And apparently Sylar's last name is Quinoa, wait, no, Quinto."

"Khan and Quinto?" Juliet asked, scrunching her nose at the foreign names. Shawn nodded and hoisted himself up.

"Okay, well, Mr. Spencer, do you have any other information on Khan?"

He shook his head while sucking in a breath, then turned back to the chief. "Who's Moseley?"

"She, uh, she's - she was another psychic here. Moved from Kansas to here, and apparently was friends with Lassiter when he was a child and she was in her late teens or early twenties," Karen responded.

Shawn faltered. "They got to another? How did I not sense it?"

"It's okay, Shawn, no one is perfect," Juliet comforted

"A person is dead because I couldn't save them!"

"Shawn," Karen said softly, "it's okay. You are an amazing person and detective, and all of the lives that you have saved outweigh those you couldn't. The latters will be missed, but you tried your hardest, and that is what counts. Now, maybe your powers are still regaining strength from after the incident outside Lassiter's apartment.

"You aren't to blame for that. Sylar and Khan are. So we have Sylar, let's get Khan!"

Shawn nodded and replied in the smallest voice, "I, uh, it's just that I can faintly feel the pain that Lassie is going through and, uh, knowing that it's partly on me..." he trailed off. Jules linked her hand with his and squeezed tightly before he pulled her into a hug. After the embrace, Shawn shook his head rapidly and wiped his eyes of the forming tears. He sniffled and jumped, shaking his hands. "Well, let's go catch that SOB!"

**********

Lassiter trudged around his friend's corpse, reminiscing about the times she had helped and supported him. He smiled down at her body, only the lips had changed color. The rest of her chocolate skin looked as warm and inviting as always, almost as if...

He shook his head, and glanced around at the surrounding scene. The Psych decal had been slightly peeled back, probably as a threat or warning, or just to annoy the psychic detective and his partner.

As Carlton weighed the options, the two men in his thoughts pulled up to the scene and walked slowly out of the Blueberry.

"Lassie!" Gus yelled. Lassiter rolled his eyes and looked in their direction. Then he made the mistake of making eye contact with Shawn. Shawn froze, suddenly being fully bombarded with waves of emotions, all being Lassiter's. Shock, sadness, fear, denial, and guilt, but amidst the depression was a layer of love and compassion that was hidden beneath the tough guy act. And Lassiter knew Shawn had felt it. He waved them both over.

Gus walked up like any other crime scene, as Shawn hadn't mentioned that Missouri was a friend of Lassiter's when he had called his friend. "So, what happened?"

Lassiter looked at Shawn, who returned the glance. "I'm, uh, sorry for your loss."

Gus heard the words and whipped his head to Shawn, and then back at Lassiter. "Wait, what?"

Lassiter nodded. "Thank you, Shawn." He held out his hand, and Shawn shook it and patted the detective's shoulder. Shawn smiled sadly and walked over to the body. He collapsed next to it. Lassiter could feel it, without turning around. "Spencer!!" He whirled around and shouted. Seeing Shawn's limp body next to Missouri, he called for Gus and then rushed to the psychic. He saw the man's glazed over eyes and sighed out the breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

Shawn suddenly sprung awake after a few moments, and looked at Lassiter strangely. "Missouri spoke to me."

"What? What did she say?" Lassiter asked eagerly. Gus was back by the Blueberry, calling in to inform Vick and Juliet of the vision.

"She, uh, she said not to worry and that she is glad that her 'Carly' is in good hands. Then she explained that we are a thing called mellon. It's when a person who is descended from a psychic without abilities can communicate with a singular psychic who the spirits have connected them with," Shawn explained.

Lassiter looked at Shawn, confused. "Melons?"

"No," Shawn laughed, "mellon. Mehl-lawn. Pronounce both l's."

Lassiter nodded and just looked at Shawn awkwardly. The spell was luckily broken by Gus, who cheerfully informed the two men that chief Vick and Juliet were on their way.

**********

"What do we have? Anything?" Karen asked the trio. They shook their heads. "Okay, so the only thing we know is that she was murdered by Khan, Sylar's partner." She turned to Shawn. "Do you have a remote idea of what he looks like?"

Shawn shook his head. "Black hair and clean shaven. That's all I've got."

"Well," Karen sighed, "at least it's a start."