Chapter 21. Dragon boy.

Merida's family were sleeping soundly in the corner of their prison cell. However she was adamant on protecting her family and she would not rest until they had broken free of the cell walls.
"Where are ye, Hiccup?" She sighed as she sat against the metal bars.
"Right here!" She heard a deep voice chuckle. But this voice wasn't threatening like her captors, is was familiar yet new and had a hint of sarcasm to it.
"HICC?!" Merida shrieked in delight. Her heard shot up and almost immediately her blue eyes connected with his forest green ones. There he was standing on the other side of Merida's cell door. He looked different now, more mature like her. He was taller, his hair slightly longer and his voice was deeper compared to the last time she spoke to him. Hiccup stretched his arms through the gaps between the bars and pulled Merida into an awkward hug.
"I set off as soon as I got your letter!" He mumbled against her wild hair.
"I've been so worried about you..." The princess sniffed. They pulled away and instinctively, Hiccup wiped away Merida's tears.
"I'm never leaving you again, no wars will ever tear us apart. We are a team." Hiccup whispered to her. Merida nodded against his hand which was still touching her face.
"Okay, I've had enough of this gross lovey dovey stuff, we have your girl now let's get going." Astrid called from behind Hiccup.
"Is that Astrid?" Merida chuckled nervously.
"Yeah...I'll explain later." Hiccup stepped aside letting Astrid by whom very swiftly plunged her axe into the cell's lock. Within seconds the royal family were free. "Let's get to the Forrest, we'll be safer there." Hiccup instructed.
"How? These invaders have a guard at every door!" Eleanor explained.
"We gathered that getting in here, luckily it wasn't to hard with our dragons." Astrid said proudly, her arms crossed over her chest.
"Dragons?! Aye, I think I need a wee sit down..." The queen mumbled as she placed her hand on her forehead in a faint manner.
~~~
Later on that evening, a campfire had been set up in the forest, humans and dragons gathered around for warmth.
Merida shuffled closer to Hiccup, reaching for more warmth. She hooked her arms around his and rested her head against his shoulder. Hiccup stared down at her, a red hot blush rose to his cheeks.
"She's missed ya lad." Fergus smiled opposite them. Hiccup returned the smile, his heart bursting with joy.
"Goodnight dragon boy." Merida whispered to Hiccup softly. He wrapped his arms around Merida to keep her warm before he himself drifted off to sleep. And for just several hours all was well...
~~~
The bright morning light woke everyone up along with the bitter chill in the air. Hiccup stretched his arms and legs out in front of him.
"Good morning Mer!" He chirped. There was no reply. "Mer?" Hiccup glanced to his left expecting to see her but she wasn't there. "Guys where is Merida?!" He cried to the others in panic. The King and queen glanced around for their daughter but she was no where to be seen.
"Hiccup," Astrid started nervously. "You might want to see this..." She held up a small piece of parchment with a note written on it.
If you ever hope to see the princess again you'll hand over the dragons.
Everyone exchanged puzzled looks but only rage could be seen in Hiccup's eyes. The invaders had captured Merida.