Chapter 2. Target practise.

Professionally, ten year old Merida held up her bow and arrow. She aimed for a target that was hanging high in a tree.
"Are ye watching?" Merida called out.
"Yes..." Hiccup replied half heartedly. He didn't believe that Merida would hit centre bullseye.
"Three!" Merida yelled. She was feeling confident, ever since Merida received her bow on her fifth birthday she'd practice in every minute of her spare time. This was the first time Hiccup was going to see her shoot.
"Two! One!" Merida released the arrow and it flew through the air before landing in the centre of the target with a thud. Hiccup gasped at the girl's talent. Confidently, Merida turned on her heal and strode over to Hiccup.
"What do yet think?" Merida smirked.
"It was alright.." Hiccup sighed. Frustrated, Merida stomped back up the hill to the castle.
"W-where are you going? Your mother said we had to spend some time out here together!" Hiccup called after her.
"You are such a goody two shoes!" Merida shouted. She was mad, this was the first time she had shown Hic her archery, and Merida was proud of her skills.
"Where are you going Merida?" Hiccup said breathlessly.
"Yer wheezing like an old man! Yer weakling." Merida snapped.
"And you are acting like a baby!" Hiccup retorted. They were now in the courtyard of the castle, having a full blown argument.
"At least I don't spend my days chasing Astrid!" Merida screamed.
"Hey! I don't spend my time chasing her!" Hiccup quietened.
"Yes yer-"
"ENOUGH!" Queen Elinor stood on the steps of the castle, glaring at the bickering children in front of her. "Both of you inside now!" Elinor boomed. Angrily, the two children stomped up the steps and disappeared into the castle. Queen Elinor lead them into the dinner hall and they sat down for dinner. King Fergus sat at the end of the table with Elinor at the other, Merida and Hiccup sat opposite each other. Merida placed her bow on the table next to her plate, immediately Queen Elinor shot her a disapproving look.
"Merida, no weapons on the table." the queen seethed.
"But mum! It's jest me bowww!" Merida whined. After another few minutes of a stare off Merida gave in and dropped her bow on the floor. Hiccup sat in his seat snickering.
"I'll get you later!" Merida hissed angrily. Maudie entered the dining hall along with three other servants with plates in their hands.
"What's that?" Hiccup poked the meat in front of him with a fork.
"Haggis." Elinor smiled as she began cutting into it. Hiccup turned to Merida still confused. (Extreme warning vegetarians)
"Sheep's heart and lungs and..." Merida trailed off as she noticed Hiccup's face turn pale. She began laughing like a manic but was soon interrupted by a snort.
"Sorry." She mumbled with a hand over her mouth. Hiccup smiled before opening his mouth to speak.
"I-Is there anything else to eat?" He stuttered not wanting the queen to hear. Merida nodded and motioned for him to follow her.