Chapter 6. Scrawny Viking!

Thirteen year old Hiccup balanced on a fallen tree as he attempted to cross a ravine. His homeland, Berk, was notorious for ravaging rivers and slippery ravines. He was trying to find a little refuge after his father's Chief talk earlier that morning.
"Oh gods! Does he really think that one day I could run a village?!" Hiccup grumbled to himself.
"Talking to yourself again are ya?" Hiccup froze when he heard that voice.
"A-Astrid? W-what are you doing out here?" Hiccup stuttered. He turned to face the blonde Viking girl as she climbed down some rocks to reach him.
"Gobber wants you back at the workshop." She grunted.
"Excellent." Hiccup replied sarcastically.
"Don't worry, at least you have a job for life." She smiled a harsh and swished grin.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Hiccup asked in curiosity.
"Well, you're clearly never going to get into dragon training like the rest of us." Astrid smirked. Hiccup felt confused and slightly offended.
"Why can't I?" He retorted. Suddenly, he lost his footing in the branch he was balancing on and slipped backwards and splashed into the river. He sat up drenched in water, furiously, he shook his shaggy auburn hair.
"Because you are a scrawny Viking!" Astrid replied as if it was common sense.
"Scrawny Viking?!" Hiccup repeated frustratedly.
"Oh no wait...you don't even deserve the 'Viking' title." With that the girl spun on her heel and sauntered off. Hiccup sat in the river sniffling back the tears that threatened to flow down his cheeks.
"I am a Viking. I'll prove it." He croaked sadly.