"Regardless, it's my intention."

"No, I mean, how funny is that? That's my building."

"I thought you looked familiar," he said amiably.

"I don't think I've seen you before."

"I believe you. You're the girl who walks around like John Wayne. The old ten yard stare. In the doors and straight to the back of the saloon, that's you. You don't look at anyone."

"I've never heard it put that way before. I guess I just get lost in thought."

"Now you just have to fall asleep in thought and we're even."

"Good. Great. Everybody's friendly," the cabbie said. "We're going to Rothemore again, right?"

"Yes please," said Violet.

"You're lucky I came along when I did," her neighbour said tucking his scarf ends back under his collar. "It's getting nasty outside."

"I'm Violet."

"Leo Finch. A pleasure."

"You are fine, aren't you, Leo?"

"Old age is a damned thing. You'd think with all the geezers milling around when I was younger I'd have seen it coming."

"You didn't?"

"The eyes are the first to go. Am I wearing a hat?"

"Oh no," Violet said, remembering. "We forgot it on the street."

"Well then someone else is lucky I came along too. If there's ever a day to find a spare hat on the street, it's today." He smiled at her. "I suppose you think I'm short without it?"

"From where I'm sitting how do I know you're not long in the legs?"

"Good girl. The glass is half full. But full of what, I'd like to know." He gave a mischievous twitch of his moustache.

"As long as you don't make a mess back there, I don't care what you do," the cabbie said.

"Lucky for us," said Violet.

The traffic was slow going in the treacherous white haze but the lights home were all green. At last the car pulled up along the walkway to the entrance of the condominium building. Leo paid the cabbie a second time.

"Mr. Finch," Violet protested. "I've got it."

"It's bad enough I gave you a scare," he said. Violet insisted on paying the tip. Leo needed Violet's hand stepping out of the car. "It's the damnedest thing," he muttered. "Do me a favour, Violet, and let me walk in first. It's bad enough that Peter always asks me how I am like I won't know the answer. What say I meet you at the elevators?"

Violet did as she was asked, standing under the front flapping awning, wrapping her arms around herself for warmth and counting slowly to ten. This could either be seen by some as an act of obedience or a grand gesture of favour, but Violet didn't mind doing it so the interpretation made no difference to her. It was the reason she was never destined for greatness, her innate sense of well being. She had a natural, feline quality about her, but of the house cat variety, not some self preserving exotic thing. She was easy to please, but not easily impressed, exceedingly affectionate and the instant enemy of anyone who'd take advantage of the fact. True love or high regard was reserved behind the dimples of a pleasing face for those who'd truly deserve it, but kindness took little effort and was therefore as perfectly natural as she was. Even still, as the cold stopped biting her nose and numbness set in, instinct told her that she had done enough.

Once inside the lobby, Violet realized Leo would have needed a decent thirty seconds more, Mississippis included. She checked her mail all the while listening to the exchanged greetings at the front desk.