Chapter 19 - Blame Your Problems on the World

Start from the beginning

Once she had given me all of her clothes an slipped the gown on, she turned around and handed the stings in the back of it to me, silently asking me to tie it for her. I did so, realizing then that my hands were shaking out of nervousness. When I failed to adequately tie the gown shut, she turned around and took my hands in hers, looking up at me with those bright blue eyes of hers. We both froze, just looking at each other for a moment, until Aria reached out to grab my shirt and gently pull me down to her for a kiss. I kissed her slowly and carefully, still afraid of what was about to happen, but feeling oddly contented by her kiss. When she pulled away, she turned and climbed up on the table, sitting there nervously as I stood beside her.

The doctor came in soon enough, flashing a bright smile at us, despite our dismal appearance. "Good morning Miss Rose," the doctor chimed, "How are you this afternoon?"

"She's deaf," I said, a little too viciously. It was annoying me that they didn't know anything about her, as if they hadn't bothered to check her health records, but this woman was going to tell us if we had a child growing inside of her. "I can translate for her," I offered, in an attempt to lessen the blow of my initial outburst. The doctor look at me, considered me for a moment, and then nodded her head.

"Are you her boyfriend?" She asked plainly, looking down at the folders and papers in her hands as she sat at the desk across from us.

"Yes," I stated, reaching for Aria's hand as she looked at me nervously.

The doctor nodded, then looked up at the two of us. "We're going to do two different tests today, because I know you want to be absolutely sure, Miss Rose. So first, I'm going to ask you to give me a urine sample." She held up a little plastic cup, and Aria glanced at me as I signed for her. When she understood, the doctor showed her to the bathroom, and we waited just a few minutes for Aria to return, a slight blush on her face as she glanced at me and handed the cup to the doctor. Once Aria was back on the table, the doctor took a quick blood sample, and told us not to worry or stress over the results of the tests. The urine sample had come back negative just a few minutes after she had handed it off to a nurse, but the blood test, she told us, would take two to three days before she had the results.

Aria and I thanked her, and then we were on our way, still holding hands as we exited the building. Aria seemed to hold my hand a little gentler now, swinging out hands slightly as we walked. I knew she was relieved by the first test coming back negative, but I was still worried about the blood test. The doctor had told us that the blood test would be more accurate, and if it came back positive, we could get a sonogram done to be absolutely sure. The fact that she had even mentioned the possibility of a positive result was freaking me out, and I knew Aria had noticed. By the time we had made it back to the bus, the guys were still out at lunch, leaving us with a little time to ourselves.

I immediately flopped down gracelessly on the couch, and Aria went to the fridge to find something to eat. I watched her patiently, wondering what she must be thinking, and eventually, she sat down beside me with an apple and bit into it, smiling at me while she chewed. I cocked an eyebrow at her, and her smile faltered slightly. She sighed and set the apple down, moving to climb onto my lap. She wrapped her arms around my neck while I placed mine gingerly at her waist. "Patrick," she whispered, gracing me with that beautiful voice of hers. I groaned slightly at the sound and leaned into her, resting my forehead on her shoulder. She hugged me tightly, kissing the side of my head. After a moment, I looked back up at her and she smiled at me. "No matter what," she signed, mimicking my words from earlier that day.

I smirked and nodded, pulling her towards me slightly for a short kiss. She smiled against my lips and pulled away slowly, leaving me wanting more. I moved my hands to her hips and lifted mine towards her slightly, making her giggle as she pushed her hands into my hair. I bit my lip and smirked, gently nudging my nose against hers. I leaned back against the couch again to sign to her, but she kept running her hands through my hair. "I can't wait to have kids with you someday," I told her, my mischievous smirk giving way to a serious, loving smile.

Aria's hands stilled in my hair, then slowly slid down my neck to my shoulders. "Really?" She asked, moving one hand to speak to me. I nodded slowly, leaning towards her again as I ran my hands up her waist, dipping my fingers beneath her shirt. She looked at me in stunned silence for a moment, and then all of a sudden, her hands were tangled in my hair and her lips were attached to mine. Suddenly, I didn't care about the results of the blood test, because I knew I loved her, and I wanted this with her. If it happened a little sooner than we planned, then so be it. Nevertheless, I moved to push her onto her back on the couch, climbing off of her for a moment and jogging into the bunk room to rummage through my bag for a condom. When I found one, I sprinted back to Aria, who was sitting up now in flustered state of confusion. I roughly pushed her back down and climbed over her, kissing her passionately as I did so. She gasped beneath me and started pulling at the buckle of my belt, desperately lifting her hips to mine as I moved to kiss her neck. She arched against me and moaned softly in my ear, spurring me on as I reached between us and pressed my hand over her jeans.

The second my hand made contact with her, gasped and pushed me off of her, scrambling to sit up at the opposite end of the couch. I looked at her quizzically, wondering what I had done wrong, but then I looked up to see Pete and Joe standing in the doorway, right at the top of the stairs leading onto the bus. I flushed and glanced at Aria as I sat back, attempting to fix my belt in embarrassment. She was staring at the floor, and Pete was smirking knowingly at both of us, while Joe simply laughed. "Damn," he chuckled, "I take it that lunch date went well?"

I glared at him and he walked past, chuckling all the way into the bunk room. I glared at Pete next, and he burst out laughing so hard that he had to sit down at the breakfast table to gather his bearings before he could look at me. "I'm so sorry, Patrick," he laughed, "If we had known –"

"Shut up, Pete," I snapped, smiling at him as I rolled my eyes, despite myself. I slid closer to Aria and rested my hand on her leg, making her glance up at Pete nervously. He giggled again, so I grabbed what was left of Aria's apple that she had forgotten, and threw it at him. It hit him square in the chest and he flinched.

"Ow! What the fuck," he whined, throwing the apple back at me. Unlike him, I caught it, making Aria giggle as she snuggled into my side. "Whatever," Pete laughed, "I'm going to get ready for sound check at three, since Andy's already at the venue. No getting freaky on that couch, some of us like to sit there." With that, Pete got up and wandered off towards the bunks as well, leaving Aria and I alone. I looked at her with a bashful smile, and she simply laughed, leaning in to kiss me chastely.

I knew then that we could make this work, no matter what happens. No matter what the outcome of that test might be, we could do it. Either way, the chances of it being positive were slim to none, after we already knew the first test to be negative. I was almost positive that there was no way she could be pregnant, but I also knew that part of me was secretly hoping she was. I wanted a life with her, and I wanted to start that life as soon as possible. I knew I would marry this girl one day, I just didn't know how soon that day might come.