chapter eight | svelte anger

♛ L U C A N ♛

L U C A N

Lucan has to fight his smirk from growing as he stares her down. Amusement flutters in his chest as he takes in her large, dark eyes and braided hair. Jelena swallows, eliciting his repeated question. "Well? I'm waiting for an answer, Jelena."

The waitress in front of him scowls a little and looks past his poised arms to peer into his bedroom. Lucan's attention lowers to her legs for a split moment before refocusing on her face.

Jelena meets his gaze. "Are you busy right now?"

He hums a little to himself, pushing off of the doorway. "Define busy, Ms. Elias."

"I need to talk to you, Lucan."

Deciding that he's let his emotions show for long enough, Lucan allows all smugness to drain from his face as he turns around. "I'm all ears." He heads back into his bedroom, and assumes that Jelena follows.

She does.

The door closes and he pulls a t shirt from his dresser, shrugging it on. When the Italian resurfaces, he almost chuckles at the fact that she's staring with intensity at his torso. Almost.

Lucan's eyebrow lifts and he sits down on the edge of his bed. "You said you wanted to talk, Jelena." He can't keep the slight accusatory tone from filtering over his words, but it isn't his fault, he supposes. She was the one to interrupt his relaxation, after all.

She grunts a little, her eyes darkening as if she's finally remembering her reason for appearing at his door. "I know." They stare at each other for a moment, until Jelena finally breaks the silence. Her arms cross over her chest and her eyes narrow. "Who the hell is Rosella?"

Lucan freezes, tinges of annoyance rippling at the seams on his heart strings. "None of your business, Ms. Elias." He really dislikes the way she says his younger sister's name, as if it's poison.

Jelena raises an eyebrow. "I'm not gonna remind you what my name is again. You know what it is. Don't be rude." Her ankle crosses in front of the other and he has to force his gaze away from the sight of her svelte legs. "And besides," she continues, her tone edging on annoyance as well. "You said that I was your only option."

Lucan's chuckle bounces out of his chest before he can stop it. After a few moments indulging himself (much to her obvious chagrin), he leans forward, balancing his elbows against his knees. "Is that all?" He cocks his head a little before sizing her up, his tone growing serious. "What are you... jealous?"

Her frown takes a murderous turn. "Don't be ridiculous." And then she stalks forward, her dark eyes ensnaring him. He finds that it's getting more and more difficult to keep his gaze from wandering down her curvy figure. "But I'm not fond of liars, Mr. Cacciatore. And if I find out that you lied to me-"

He takes that as his cue to stand. Lucan pushes off of his bed and stretches to his full height, a tiny smirk pulling over his lips before dropping completely. "You'll what?" His tone is dark.