chapter one | early risers

♕ J E L E N A ♕

J E L E N A

Usually it's her alarm clock that wakes her. But it didn't go off today, and so the soothing darkness of early morning gently coaxes her out of her sleep instead.

She yawns a bit as she sits up, attempting to rub the remaining fatigue from her eyes. The bright red numbers on the alarm clock off to her left blink on and off repeatedly, reading 6:05 am.

From what she can see in the darkness, the bit of sky that's visible through her window is still a heavy shade of onyx. But based on both the sight of the few silver tipped clouds that drift along and her own personal experiences, she knows that the sun will rise at any moment, bathing the arches in rows of fuschias and the tainted shades of blood oranges.

She tries to slip out of bed with as much silence as she can muster, knowing that Aziel needed his rest. Her bare feet press lightly into the floorboards.

But the higher powers do not oblige to her inner wish, and the wooden floors creak louder than ever before. Their high pitched groans echo throughout the apartment, traveling through the darkness.

She lets loose a grimace as she winces, continuing to ease out of bed. The mattress sags as she slowly shifts her weight into the balls of her feet, each creak and groan eliciting another flinch. The moment she's finally out of bed doesn't come soon enough.

Jelena quickly shuffles to the bathroom and starts up a shower, breathing in deeply as the sound of water kissing tile fills her ears. As she waits for the water to warm, she strips then sits down on the toilet seat cover. An undefined amount of time passes before a soft knock comes from the other side of the door.

"Lena? What are you doing up so early?" Aziel's words are laced with fatigue, and she can hear the distinct sound of his yawning as well.

Shit.

"Do you need to brush your teeth?" She answers him, dodging his question. Jelena rapidly wraps the towel around her naked form.

He doesn't respond. Instead, the door creaks open and he pops his head in. His messy curls are the same shade of ink, flopping over his honeyed green eyes that search her up and down in confusion. His hair is flat against the side of his head.

Jelena momentarily forgets about the rushing water behind her and beckons her younger brother further into the bathroom. "You didn't answer my question," she reminds him hypocritically.

He stands fully and slowly shuffles forward, rubbing his eyes tiredly as he pushes the door to its full openness. "J, why are you awake this early? It's only 6:15. I don't need to be at the center for another hour or whatever."

By now a heated fog has crept over the bathroom, and so she motions for him to turn around. Jelena hangs the towel on a nearby rack, and soon as she steps into the shower a low shudder of relief passes through her lips.