chapter five | phone calls

♕ J E L E N A ♕

J E L E N A

"Reina, I'm leaving!" Jelena calls over her shoulder as she unties her apron and slips the cords from her belt loops. She unties her bun and breathes a sigh of relief as the tension leaves her head. She shakes out her braids.

Her boss lets out a mangled noise. "Huh? Whadjya say?"

The twenty five year old rolls her eyes. She yells a little louder this time, making sure she's closer to Reina's office too. "I said I'm leaving now! My shift is over and I need to pick up Aziel from school."

The sound of Reina's swivel chair squeaking as she stands reaches Jelena's ears. She pokes her head out of her office. "Well damn, woman, I heard you. Don't know why you're screaming your lungs out."

Jelena rolls her eyes again but even so, she has to fight the grin that's pulling on the edges of her lips. "This is the last time I'm working overtime. Just so you know." She cocks an eyebrow at her boss and tosses her apron onto a rack where it would stay all weekend (God willing).

Reina nods, her dark hair spilling over her face a little. She brushes it away while answering. "Yeah, I know. I wish I didn't have to have you work overtime, but with Saminah out and everything I-"

The twenty five year old raises a hand. Reina's words slow to a stop. Jelena smiles understandingly. "I know, I know. Trust me, Rei, I get it." She pulls a fake piece of lint from her clothing. "I was just letting you know. And anyways, I need my evenings to be free."

Her boss snorts. "Since when?" Then, already moving on from the subject, she continues. "Anyways, I'm about to close up early. Aniyah took off a while ago to visit her mother in the hospital and Sam's condition is somehow worse than it was this morning." She grabs her keys. "Do you need a ride to JMMS?"

Both of Jelena's eyebrows lift. "And what's going to happen to Saminah?"

Reina finally unties her apron and scoffs dryly. "I already called the Walking Migrain a town car. Cris is waiting for her at their apartment right now." She grabs her purse. "So do you need a ride?"

It's her pride that makes her hesitate. Jelena has to stop and think about it. Finally, she nods along to the offer. "Okay, fine."

"Good," Reina smiles. She shrugs on her leather jacket and zips it up over her charcoal toned necktie. "I can even drop you guys off at home if it's on my way."

Jelena folds her arms comfortably over her chest. "And if it isn't?"

"Then you bitches better take the bus."

The two of them laugh at that and Jelena releases her arms from their snug hold against her chest. "Alright, alright. Let's just go." She glances at her phone to check the time. "School's already out for him."

Reina raises an eyebrow, slight confusion spreading over her face. "What do you mean already? It's 4:18 pm."

Jelena shrugs. "JMMS lets out later than other schools. But to be fair, they begin a lot later too."