Chapter 10

Kara's POV

When I fully realized that Max had his lips pressed to mine, I shoved him back will all my strength and jumped up.

"No no no...no!" I whispered in disbelief as I shook my head repeatedly.

I heard Max sigh and stand up. He walked over to me and stood in front of me but I didn't look up at him.

"Kara, let me explain myself. Please." Max begged me.

I did nothing but stand there without speaking a word. I guess he took that as the ok to explain himself because he started to speak.

"I like you a lot. I have for a while now. That is why I kissed you, I was hoping to show you that I liked you without having to speak." Max confessed.

I heard his voice crack at the end of what he was saying and I looked up. I saw that he had a look of defeat on his face and I felt so bad, but I can't lie and tell him that I like him especially when I am going after his best friend.

I didn't even realize that I was crying until I felt Max's hand wipe them away.

"Max, I am sorry, but I don't like you. I kinda like someone else at the moment. You are so sweet and one day you are going to make some girl so lucky, but that girl won't be me. I'm sorry."

With that being said, I turned and left. Max didn't come after me and I was very relieved he didn't because I need to be left alone.

____

Jace's POV

I walked up onto Max's front porch and knocked on his door. He wasn't answering my calls and I really needed to talk to him.

I decided that I was going to tell him about mine and Kara's conversation yesterday after detention. I shouldn't have told her that I have taken a liking to her. It wasn't a lie, but I shouldn't have.

It actually surprised me that she confessed that she had taken a liking in me. I expected her to say no or lie or something like that. I swear that girl never ceases to amaze me.

"Why hello, Jace. I haven't see you in awhile." Jean, Max's mom, greeted me as she opened the front door to let me in.

"Yeah it has been a while. Is Max in his room?" I asked her. When I asked her, her face gave away a look of worry.

"Yeah he is, but he won't come out. He hasn't came out all evening. At least not since I saw that Kara girl leave the house crying. I really don't know what happened."

Wait, what? Why was Kara here and why did she leave her crying? Well I sure am going to find out now.

I got up to Max's door and I knocked. I heard a groan of annoyance from the other side so I knocked again.

"Mom, go away!" I heard Max shout from the other side.

"Well last time I check, I wasn't a woman nor your mom." I responded back.

Max threw something at the door which caused me to jump back. Well that was not necessary, dude.

"Go away!" He yelled once more.

He has got to be a complete idiot if he thinks I am going to walk away and give up without finding out what's wrong with him.

I went and got the spare key to his room and went and unlocked his door. Guess he forgot that I knew where the spare key was.

When I walked into his room he groaned and mumbled something that sounded like 'stupid idiot never listens.'

"Come on. Get up and tell me what's going on with you. Oh and why was Kara here and why did she leave crying?" No need to beat around the bush.

I guess I shouldn't have been so straightforward because it seemed to make him even more upset. Crap.

"I kissed her."

I turned my head so fast to look at him that I am surprised that I didn't get whiplash. Did he just say he kissed her?

"You kissed her? Why?" I asked just a bit too loud.

"Dude, calm down. I like her I really do, but she doesn't like me back. She said she like someone else at the moment. I should have known I didn't stand a chance." He sighed.

I gulped. I guess that right now might not be the best time to tell him about me and Kara taking a liking to each other. I can still tell him about the mystery sticky-note girl.

"I'm sorry about that dude. There are other girls so don't worry, man." I assured him. "Also, look at this." I handed him the first sticky note I received. The one that said 'Hey Skater Boy' on it.

After he read it, he looked up at me with a confused face. "What is this?" He asked me.

"I got this one day last week in my locker. There is a few more of those. You can clearly tell that it is a girl writing them. I have no clue who she is but for some odd reason, she interests me and that isn't a good thing." I explained to him.

He nodded his head. "Thats...different. So what's with the words on the back? Are they the places you put your response sticky note?" He questioned.

"Yeah. Everytime its a different place like the cafeteria soda machine or the garden club shed." I told him.

Weird thing was, once those words left my mouth Max's eyes widened and his face went pale. Well thats not strange at all.

"Uhh, dude are you ok? You look a little pale." I asked him.

He didn't say anything at first he just sat there. It was a few moments before he looked at me and spoke.

"You said you didn't know who it was didn't you." He said.

"Yeah. I have no clue who she is. Do you?"

Max was acting really strange right now and I have no clue why.

All I know is that I was going to find out why.

____

Max's POV

The second that Jace said the garden club shed my mind flashed back to monday at Kara's house when I found that sticky note.

Then Jace's words ran through my mind. '...she interests me and that isn't a good thing.'

That sticky note had said 'You interest me.' and on the back it had said. 'Garden club shed.' That only means one thing and one thing only.

Kara is the mystery girl that is writing those sticky notes to Jace. He has no clue that it is her. Does that mean I should tell him?

No, I am going to let him figure it out on his own. Does that make me a bad friend?

Kara said she liked someone else. Did that mean she like Jace?

What the heck is even going on anymore?