26|The Chase

Manik's POV

12 February, 2016
Delhi

"Oh, come on, mom! Stop acting like a child!" I whine to my fully grown up mother, who is behaving like a toddler of 2 right now.

"No, it's disgusting!" Her face is scrunched up and she is looking at the soup as if it's causing her immense pain.

"Itna drama kyu kar rahi ho, Sarika. Just have it!" Sujata aunty enters the hospital cabin, reprimanding mom.

After one helpless glance at me, mom puts a spoonful of soup into her mouth. I smile at her. The surgery took place yesterday in the afternoon and went smoothly. Mom is now under complete bed rest for quite some time. Abhi's parents and Soha have been visiting regularly, practically leaving only at night. I have been staying at the hospital 24x7, despite her insistence that I go home and rest.

My phone beeps with a message from Abhi.

*no development yet :( *

Groaning, I put my phone back down. Abhi has been trying to get some clue regarding the pictures I found the other day, of the unknown building. Something to connect it with Singhania and dad. So far, he has found nothing.

"Sarika, mai ja toh rahi hoon. Lekin tum jyada natak mat karna. Manik beta, call me straight away if she gives you a hard time." Sujata aunty says sternly. Mom rolls her eyes.

"Yes, aunty. Good night." I give her a brief hug.

The doctor visits us once, and tells us that mom is doing well. After giving her all the medicines, I switch off the light and lie down on the couch in the corner of the room.

Phew. The last few days have been plain scary for me. I'll admit I have never been this nervous before! Just the mere thought that mom, my only parent, was going to have a major surgery, had me shitting in my pants.
Now that the surgery is done and she is recovering, I can breathe in relief again!

Amidst all this, I can clearly remember one distinct voice, which was oddly comforting.

Um..have a safe journey. And, don't worry. Your mom will be fine.

Nandini's.

I close my eyes and her beautiful face flashes through my head. What is she doing right now? Has she missed me at all in the last two days?

I had a lot of people telling me that mom would be just fine and everything would be okay. Surprisingly, it was her soft and sweet voice that had calmed me down slightly. I don't know why that was. Maybe because you are so guilty of how you have behaved with her that you were just glad she spoke to you!

Taking a deep breath and looking at mom one last time, I fall asleep.

...............

Next morning, mom is sitting up on her bed, picking on a bowl of salad and I am reading the newspaper.

"Manik?" She says suddenly.

"Hmm?" I say, without looking up.

"Mumbai mei sab kaisa hai? Teri job?"

"Sab thik hai, mom."

"And your boss?"

My boss. Well...

"My boss is..very fond of me." I smile at her. Yeah, right! Your boss is fond of you. You so wish!

"That's good. Naye dost bane ki nahi? Ya pure din sirf Abhi ke saath chipka rehta hai?"