13|Bonding

Manik's POV

I wake up with a start as the alarm goes off. After taking a shower and having a bowl of cereal, I make a quick call to mom and head over to Nandini's car.

She comes out ten minutes early today, with a vibrant smile. In a simple yet sassy, knee-length, black dress with no makeup on, she looks as sexy as ever. I scold myself mentally for behaving like a hormonal teenager and try not to stare.

"Hi!" She chirps in her lovely voice.

"Hey!" I can't help but smile back. Her energy is infectious. "Aren't you early today?"

"Yeah...I guess I am. Just a little bit, though." She blushes. That slight blush! I want to reach across and touch her face.

"Let's go. You drive." She says quickly and gets into the passenger seat.

I start driving and man, I am distracted. She looks so happy and lively today, not a trace of anger in her features. I just can't keep my eyes off her.

"I know I look good, but your staring might get us in an accident." She remarks suddenly with a smirk and I force myself to look away, embarrassed.

"Sorry." I mutter. "You just look so....unlike yourself today."

"You mean I am not abusing or screaming."

"Yeah." I say, grinning like a fool. "I wonder what brought about this change."

"Well, to be honest, I don't really know." She says with a puzzled expression and looks deep in thought.

"I guess I was tired of being angry." She says with a meaningful look and we burst out laughing.

Wow! I am laughing and chatting with Nandini Murthy so comfortably!

We reach class and I occupy a seat in the second row while Nandini and her friends are seated in the front. Mukti comes and sits beside me.

"Hey, Manik. Congrats for yesterday. You were too good. There was such a crowd around you that we couldn't talk properly." She beams at me.

"Thanks, Mukti."

I had instantly liked this girl. She is easy to talk to and didn't throw herself at me. We give each other a hi five as Cabir turns around.

"So, Mr. Bheem, we grinded Harshad's ass. What would you say about that?" He laughs.

"Abey saale, pehli baar koi dhang ka kaam kia hai tune. Now I can finally acknowledge you as a friend in public!" She hits him playfully.

"Oo!" Cabir squeals, faking horror. "Is that how you go around talking about your best friend's brother?"

"That doesn't stop him from being clingy and pure pathetic." Mukti says dramatically and they burst out laughing.

"What's the joke, guys?" Alia comes and sits on the other side of me. "Hi, Manik." She smiles sweetly.

I smile back at her. I am slightly uncomfortable because I have realised Alia is no exception to the let's-drool-over-Manik rule. At least she is not being indecent about it.

"Hey, Alia. So, your brother still crying his eyes out?" Cabir jeers and Mukti stifles her laugh.

"Shut up, Cabir." She scoffs. "Bhai is upset. But he will get over it. And I am really happy that you won, Manik." She smiles at me. "And you too, Cabir." She adds to him, rolling her eyes. He blows her a kiss and she pretends to dodge it.

My eyes, as if they have a mind of their own, travel to Nandini. She has remained absolutely quiet throughout our conversation. Navya is looking at her apprehensively and she is staring at the smart board with a scowl.