Chapter 7: Competition Part 2

Runa

I didn't give up on the competition. I wanted to win! I wanted to be the Queen of this racing game.

So, my plan was if Mark asked, she won and no worries. If my dad asked, then I would say when I signed up, they gave me that name and when I tried to switch it, they wouldn't listen. Was Elise okay with it? Of course not. But I was!

Too sum up the most of it so I can spare you the boring details, I faced more people. The next two people on the bracket weren't too good.. But the quarter finals got almost got me. I won though.

I had no idea who I facing for the finals, since thy hadn't played yet. So I decided to catch up with Elise before playing.

I walked up to Elise and started reciting everything I knew about Mark.

She looked at me with a concerned look.

"Oh! What'd I forget?" I ask myself. I think for a moment then jump, "Chica! His dog Chica is there too."

"You'll pass." She tells me. I sigh with relief. I knew she remembered most things about dad.

She looks over my shoulder and starts smirking, and eventually laughing. "Check out your opponent for the finals."

My head whips around to see a name being put onto the bracket. Someone I knew Ken and Felix knew.

Minx.

My expression promptly becomes emotionless. There was no way I was beating Minx.

"HA! LOSER! YOU HAVE TO FACE MINX!"

My head whips the other direction to see Felix.

"HEY SHUT UP I KNOW!" I throw my fist in front of my and shake it like an old person would.

"The finalists will have ten minutes before the next round." I heard the announcer say.

I grab my phone and Elise. We run off backstage again and I call my dad. He doesn't answer, but calls back almost immediately.

"Hey honey bunches how's it going?" I heard him say. I cock my eyebrow even though he couldn't see me.

"Honey bunshes?" I ask him, my lisp really showing.

"I don't know I'm editing right now and it's actually getting boring. It was a boring video." He explains, but it wasn't much of an explanation.

"So, besides all of that, how it going?" I ask him.

"Eh, same. It's still raining here. How about you, still sick?" I heard him take a bite of food over the phone. Elise looked at me with great confusion.

"Oh- yeah. It's not as bad but.. I'm not really hungry." I couldn't lie to dad, but now Elise knows about it.

"Use some money and buy some candy. I know you can't resist candy." He tells me. I sigh.

"I've tried, unfortunately, not this time" he gasps over the phone.

"Runa Cille McLoughlin." He says in a sassy tone, "What do you mean you do not want candy? You must be sick get on a plane come home." His voice sounded serious which made it funnier.

"I wish... Tomorrows my lass day, then I'll be on my way home.. You can call me before you go to bed. I've got a game to go back to." I tell him, and immediately regretted it.

"Wait Rune." My face winced knowing I could've avoided that better. "Are you.. In a gaming competition? A racing one?" I couldn't bring myself to make any words. I can't lie to my dad.

Elise took the phone and started talking. "Yeah.." She lightly sighed. "I meant to tell you, but I really wanted to win firss.. Also, when they signed me up, they wrote my name down as Elise. Weird right?" She goes with my plan and actually sounds like me, using my lisp and everything.

I put my phone up to the ear. "Yeah.. That is kind of weird... Ill talk to you tonight okay girlie?"

"Okay. Love you dad."

"Love you too."

She ends the call and hands the phone to me. She was sort of shocked.

"Oh.. Uh.. Go on ahead it's probably about to start." She says. I nod and head back to the competition.

But she told dad she loved him..

*

"Alright. In this final showdown between the apprentice and Minx. Take your controllers ladies." I give the announcer a glare for using apprentice as my name. But I grab he controller in front of me.

"Alright. Everything's set up and we'll watch for Minx's go." I look at Minx and she gives me a friendly smirk before starting the game.

5...4...3...2...1...

We both accelerate extremely fast. We work of passing each other while dodging other cars too.

When we went around the first lap, Minx was in the lead.

The second time, Minx was in the lead again.

But during our third lap, I passed Minx once she hit a wall.

"RECKED" I scream. I heard lots of laughter from my comment/pun. Even Minx.

Minx wasn't too far behind though. I had known this map now, and the finish line was just around the corner..

I made my turn, and my car slammed into the wall...

"Oh! OH!" Minx screamed, passing the finish line in first place. I was laughing so hard I fell off my chair and that made Minx laugh as well.

My car never made it past the finish line.