My cheeks felt heated from the anger I was feeling as I stood up. “Why did you go and do something like that for? You know what, Peter?! I really hate you! You are so mean!” My left leg swung back before I moved it forward and kicked Peter square in the shin of his leg.

He hunched over and started to say curse words Mom would spank him for even thinking.

A hand grabbed my wrist, “we better hide,” Randall whispered in my ear.

As my brown eyes looked down at my brother, I knew the second he was feeling better from my kick, I was going to feel his wrath.

Randall started to pull me in tow as he raced over to our treehouse my uncle made me last year for my birthday. It was one of the added bonuses of having a constructor for an uncle; he could make you cool things, like this treehouse.

Climbing the ladder as fast as we could, we choose not to look back and see if Peter was hot on our tail. Once in the treehouse, Randall locked the door and glanced over at me.

It was then we shared a look only two conniving thieves would have. “You’re bad, Elle. You know he is going to get you for that.”

Once again, I found myself shrugging my shoulders. “I don’t care. He is a big meanie, plus I love the feeling of not knowing when he will strike!” I smiled wildly.

Randall gave a roll of his eyes. “I don’t think you have to wait long,” he pointed out as his eyes became training on the single window that was beside us.

I looked out the window and saw my brother collecting all sorts of objects from the backyard. So far he had two basketballs, three buckets, five large sticks and a two plastic shovels.

“What is he doing?” I questioned under my breath.

Before Randall could conjure up a guess, Peter stopped in his tracks and looked up at us with a smile. “You two have to come down some time. When you do, I will be waiting,” he spoke as he picked up a frisbee that was by his feet.

“I think he plans to attack us, with all that he has collected, the moment we leave the treehouse,” Randall informed the obvious.

Slumping down, I started to wonder what I could do as a counter-attack. My eyes danced around the small treehouse to find our opinions were limited. “We can’t stay up here forever. He is right about that...” I mumbled. Ignoring Randall rant on and on about possible plans that were impossible to perform. I started to realize that I should just go out there and face him. Admittedly, I liked the idea of dodging his attack and running around the yard like a madwoman. It sounded like a rush ... Standing up, I looked over at Randall. “Stay here,” I demanded knowing that if he went down there to also face my brother, he would no doubt be crying after my brother lands one hit of an object at him.

Looking at me with wide eyes and a deep frown, Randall shook his head. “Elle, you can’t. You will get hurt!”

I sighed and then walked over to the door of the tree house. “Chill your horses, Randall, I will be fine. What is the worst that can happen?” Opening the door, I turned around and gripped the flooring as I put my feet on the ladder. I took one step down from the ladder and then I felt something hit my feet. I looked down to see a basketball at the base of the ladder. By the time I registered that Peter attacked me while I was on the ladder, my feet slipped and I felt my hands loose grip if the flooring.

I was free falling and all I could think was ... I hate my brother.

With panted breaths and sweat that could drown someone, I found myself jolting awake. My eyes burned as I was surrounded by a bright white light that was blinding me. Closing my eyes, I felt as if I had just been run over by a bulldozer.