39: NIGHT OF THE BLOOD MOON (JOHNNY)

The boombox was blasting out The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance and those of us remaining at the campfire – Dino, Danny, Corey, Harry, and Jason and me – were sitting around discussing football and the fact that practice was starting next week.

I told them that we'd talked to Andy Miller about coming to practice and working with the team, and that we'd watch out for him.

"Hell yeah," Dino readily agreed. "We'll make a man outta him real quick."

"Anybody bothers him after what he's just been through, they'll have to deal with me," Danny grunted.

"He can work with me." Harry was smiling, liking the idea. "He's a little sweetie, but I'll sure show him how to run a team of jocks."

I laughed at him. "Yah, like you really run the show."

Harry sent me a wounded look. "Hey, if it wasn't for me you guys wouldn't even be wearing your athletic cups at the games."

Jason hooted. "Yah, cuz you keep them with you so you can play with them at home, and then bring them to the locker room yourself."

"And," Dino boomed in, "insist that you fit them into our jockstraps yourself. While we're wearing them."

"Hey," Corey snapped at him. He was sitting next to Harry down on the grass. "Harry takes care of us real good."

"We know," I grinned at him. "We're just kidding. But he better not teach Andy to steal our jocks."

Harry's eyes popped wide at that. "Hell no. I'd never do that. I want them all for myself."

We all got a good laugh out of that, even though he wasn't trying to be funny. The Black Parade ended and, because of Trenton's eclectic musical taste, the Beatles came on the tape with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It immediately seemed as if we'd all gone into another zone.

"Yowza!" Danny exclaimed. "You don't need to take LSD to get high. Just listening to this song about it does it for you."

Harry smiled. "That, my friend, was the idea. Lucy. Sky. Diamonds. L-S-D. And the weird melody sure does the job."

"Totally," I agreed. "What was it? 'Drop out, tune in, turn on'?"

"Something like that," Dino said. "Everyone sat around smoking weed and 'dropping acid'. That's what they called taking LSD."

"Not much of that around today," Corey pointed out.

"Fuck no. It's too freaky," I said. "If we were doing LSD tonight we'd all be jumping off the leap thinking we could fly. People actually jumped off buildings and cliffs from taking that stuff. And it made you totally hallucinate, see things that weren't there."

"Yah, today's recreational drugs are safer," Danny scoffed facetiously. "Narcotics and heroin."

Dino agreed. "Right. They don't make you kill yourself, they do it for you. Sometimes instantly."