Chapter 49

~~~(4 years later)~~~

By now, the twins have been nothing but trouble. On a good level, that is. At this point, they're both walking and talking, even potty trained now. Kyra and Rhys have built a strong bond, as well. They can't be separated. If we do separate them, they'll throw massive tantrums. Let's just say, Marc and I can't handle that.

For a good while, Rhys was behind Kyra on a few things. Learning to walk was difficult for him, so was talking. We didn't know how long it would take for him to actually catch up to Kyra. After they stopped the chemo, Rhys caught up in a hurry. The cancer disappeared. For that, we couldn't be any more thankful. The doctors say that it's highly unlikely for the leukemia to come back.

Kyra is my little genius. She takes after me on that. On many levels, though, she's a complete daddy's girl. Once she's learned a task, she shows Rhys how to do it. As if it's her duty to. They both show each other how things are done, but when Rhys fell behind, she showed him everything. 

~~~~~1:53 p.m~~~~~

Rain poured outside, tapping the windows lightly, making it a good day to just nap around. The twins are sleeping soundly, as Marc and I enjoy the silence and sleep as well. That is, until the phone rang. We both groaned as the house phone echoed throughout the house. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who prayed the twins didn't wake up.

"Steph? You want to check on the twins or get the phone?" Marc asked me, turning towards my face.

"Demarcus, you're joking right?" I ask, reaching my hand to the left and grabbing the phone off the nightstand.

He rolled his eyes, stood up, and headed towards the twins' room.

Sleepily, I answered the phone with a "hello". A light sigh huffed on the other end.

"I was hoping it would've went straight to voicemail." The unfamiliar voice replied quietly.

"W-who is this?" I ask, sitting up.

"Stephanie....this is your mother.... Pepper Potts." She paused, then sighed again.

My mind spun for a few moments, as Marc walked back in to see the confusion on my face. I didn't know how to respond or what to do. Should I be happy or mad? Should I keep talking or should I hang up? I blinked the sleep from my eyes and tried to think of what to say.

"Stephanie?" She asked quietly through the phone.

"Pepper... You shouldn't have called me." I say, giving her no mercy.

"Please. Hear me out. I'm sorry for what I did--leaving you and your father behind. I don't deserve your forgiveness--" she paused, while I interrupted.

"Damn right, you don't." I respond heavily.

"But I want to see you. Please. Just meet me somewhere so we can talk. I beg you to hear me out." Pepper begged, choking on her words.

I looked up at Marc, who came over and sat on the bed next to me.

"Fine. Where do you want to meet? This doesn't mean I forgive you, just to let you know." I respond.

"Oh, gosh. Thank you, honey. The coffee house nearest to the Tower. In one hour." She said.

"Okay." I say, hanging up.

After all these years. Twenty years. Now she calls me. Now she "cares". She left me and my father. She gave me up for adoption. She didn't even tell my father I was born. I can't forgive her. I just can't. But I'll "hear her out", as she said.

"Babe, what's going on?" Marcus asks, placing a hand on my thigh.

"It's my mom. She's meeting me for the first time in twenty-two years." I respond, glaring at him.