Chapter 18 (Revised)

Disclaimer: I do not own One Piece. 

Marco was the first division commander and first mate of the Whitebeard Pirates. As the first division commander and first mate the responsibilities that were tougher on the crew ranging from full crew decision making to the smallest yet tedious of paperwork befell him. His job ranged as arguably one of the most important on the ship with over a thousand brothers, sisters, and any in between to manage. All ranging in personalities and difficulties to handle, yet he carried his position with a practiced ease to ensure a sense of security and home. Respect was highly valued among the crew and he worked hard to evoke such a presence amongst every new member. Safety and comfort, as much as one can get out at sea with one of the greatest pirate crews, was his utmost priority as the oldest brother.

He prided himself in being a source or knowledge and aide to any of his many siblings. Someone any of his siblings can come to for help and as such he ensured that each and every new sibling that joined the crew was well adjusted to their life. Of course some connected to him more then others as any relationship would prove when meeting so many new people, Thatch being one of the few on that admittedly smaller list. As such when Thatch got connected and even attached to the three new additions to the crew, Marco worried for both the safety of the small children and for one of his closest brothers emotions. With a close eye on that situation (a trait often attributed to his "mother hen" mode), Marco was quick to notice something was amiss.

As much as he would have loved a smooth transition from slave to free life, the first division commander was far from a fool and would have to be damn near deaf to ignore the clearly hurting children aboard the ship. Then it wasn't hard to notice how quickly different Thatch began to act seemingly overnight for the little ones. Clearly, he went from feeling responsible to absolutely attached to the point Marco knew that the fourth division commander would move mountains for the three. There simply was no turning back, so Marco did what he was best at and observed. Suspicious behavior from the three and Thatch was strange, but not too surprising. The fifth involved certainly was.

Marshall D. Teach was an interesting character Marco noted. From his toothy grin with a look in his eyes that simply did not match and his impressive appetite even among a crew as large as theirs, it was with no revelation that at one point the man himself was considered for a position as high as the second division commander. His strength incredible for no devil fruit, speed as quick as a thunderbolt for his size, and an aim only rivaled by that of 16th division commander, Marco would be a fool to at least not acknowledge the man's competence in battle. Then his leadership skills as he led small groups on successful mission after successful mission well the second division commander position was practically begging for him to fill it.

There was one issue. The man was a mystery. Although he claimed to be born as a simple town man from absolutely nowhere, Marco did his research. Nothing of the details of his life ever truly added up when observed too closely. Sure some things made sense, but ever proven to be true? No, the man was an enigma and someone that shrouded in secrets was not one Marco would put into such a position of power. Not when the second division was one that led the front lines in battle. Too many lives could potentially be put at risk with him in charge. Marco just could not be sure of what the other man was capable of.

Watching him lurk around the boys and then Thatch, was enough to make Marco's skin crawl. Never would he have thought he would doubt a sibling of his and the idea alone made the blond so very conflicted to the point of debating on brushing his suspicion off especially since he didn't even know what to be suspicious about! His instincts always won out and he silently launched an investigation into the man. Going as far as enlisting the help of some of his division under the guise of missing paperwork, Marco soon learned that Marshall D. Teach was not a man to be reckoned with as a separate name he was referred to as surfaced.