Chapter 30

* * *

Was it seconds, minutes, hours the doe stood watching over Severus, she wasn't entirely sure. Lillian could only gather - by the darkening sky - that it was beyond late this time.

Lillian's doe moved a little closer, and as she did so Snape flinched. Cautiously, she moved her hooves a few yards closer, and again he flinched. When she moved for the final last time, he groaned.

Barely conscious, Snape managed to painfully open up his eyes, only to see - what he thought to be - his patronus looking down upon him. He outstretched his hand in pain, and stared into those big Doe eyes. Slowly his seemingly patronus bent down to him - coming withing inches of his face - and brushed her forehead against the open palm of Severus Snape.

Then, as slowly as they opened, Snape's eyes closed shut, and the next thing he knew he was lying on his bed that very next day. He felt someone nudge him, ever so slightly, thus he opened up his eyes. Professor Dumbledore was perched on an armchair next to Severus, shaking his head pitifully at him.

Behind Dumbledore there stood Lillian; she looked so frightened.

"Severus... I think you have some explaining to do. But that will stand so as until tomorrow. Right now I find it only fair that you rest. However you should be well enough for Potions tomorrow." Dumbledore stood up.

"Thanks, Professor." Snape managed to mutter, but it was followed by a low pitched cough.

"Do not thank me, Severus, thank your daughter. For if it wasn't for her, you'd be long dead by now." Then he walked out of Snape's chamber, through the classroom, then towards his the hospital wing.

Severus hadn't even noticed Lillian was still there, not until he looked 'round and saw her sitting on the chair Dumbledore was sitting on. He was about to dismiss her - as if she was some mere student of his - but then Dumbledore's words dawned on him.

"I found you," Lillian started, anxiously not wanting to continue. "I... I dindn't know what to do, so I just ran for the headmaster. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have been out past bedtime, and I know I shouldn't have been near the forest. I'm -"

"Thank you, Lilly." He again managed to say. Lillian's eyes watered - he called her Lilly!

She nodded her head to him. Before Snape's eyes closed once more, he noted out to himself how the single tear drizzling down Lillian's cheek did not go by unnoticed either.