Chapter 5: The Badge and the Burden

The next morning was not pleasant. Skyler was by no means a morning person and was not happy when a loud whistle from the room next door woke him up at 6:30 in the morning (He had no doubt that was Ruby).

But now that he and his team were up, there was no going back to sleep. They unpacked all their belongings and put them wherever they wanted. Then Walker put up a poster that Skyler found himself confused by.

"Red vs. Blue?" he asked.

"Yeah!" Walker replied, "Most popular fan-made series on the Internet. You've never seen it?"

"Nope," Skyler admitted.

Skyler remembered back at Patch, he and Yang would always go on YouTube or something to just watch random videos when he visited. Maybe he could get Yang to watch this show with him. He did bring his laptop.

(A/N: That's a bit of foreshadowing to a future story that I'll start after I finish Volume 1. I think you guys will enjoy it.)

Finally, they got all their stuff put in place and were ready to go. Class wasn't until 9:00 though and it was only 8:20. They had some time to kill. Skyler took the time to add the Red vs. Blue playlist to his Watch Later playlist.

They left at 8:45 and arrived in Professor Port's class. Then Dante noticed something rather odd.

"Why are there taxidermy Grimm here?" he asked, "Don't Grimm disintegrate after they're killed?"

"Yep," Hazel answered, "Those are fake. People just get them to show off."

8:59 rolled around and Skyler noticed a severe lack of classmates, "Hey, where is everyone?"

No sooner than the words left his mouth, the doors burst open. They turned to see Team RWBY and Team JNPR run in, breathing heavily. Yang plopped down next to Skyler, sweating a bit.

"Oversleep?" Skyler asked.

"Nope," Yang replied, "Just lost track of time."

"Ah."
_______________________________
"Monsters!" Port began, "Deeeemons... Prowlers of the night! Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names, but I merely refer to them as prey! Ha-ha!"

Nobody laughed. Skyler was actually considering taking a nap, just like Ruby almost was.

"Uhhhh... And you shall too, upon graduating from this prestigious academy! Now, as I was saying: Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms, are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world! Our planet is absolutely teeming with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces! And that's where we come in. Huntsmen! Huntresses..."

He winked at Yang, who groaned uncomfortably.

"Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves! From what, you ask? Why, the very world!"

One student raised his fist in the back rows above, saying "Ayyyy-yep!"

Everyone else gave that student a weird look.

"That is what you are training to become. But first: A story. A tale of a young, handsome man... Me! When I was a boy..."

This is the part where everyone zoned out. It was clear they weren't going to learn anything, unless they wanted to hear Port's childhood story. Seriously, all Skyler heard was: Blah blah blah blah.

He looked down and saw Ruby drawing something on her notepad. She snickered at her creation and showed it to her teammates. It was a general ball-with-limbs-and-a-head drawing of the teacher with stink lines coming from him and 'Professor Poop' written underneath. Skyler, Dante, Blake and Yang were laughing, but Weiss looked annoyed beyond belief.