Chapt. 22: Josiah

I laid across the bed watching ESPN as Diamond did whatever she do on the computer.

"How long Nova staying with ya aunt?"

She shrugged her shoulders.

"She'll probably bring her tomorrow.... Siah how we gone do this?"

She turned the TV off and closed her laptop.

"How we gone do this babe? Two kids?"

I took a deep breath and looked at the stress on Diamond face. The last thing I need is her stressing man.

"We gone do it as a team baby. Long as Im here you have nothing to worry about."

She stared at me as if she was trying to figure me out.

"Look babe, I got you. I got Nova. I got the unborn. Last thing I need is for you to stress. We got this."

"I dont get how you so positive at a time like this. You keep yourself and your fear hidden so well."

Little do she know she's right. Im scared, we barely made it through with one kid, now two? That's not even mine.

Im screaming inside. My stomach is turning, my heart is beating fast. But I have to keep it together for my family.

"Im the man. I have to keep it all together and make sure yall good. Game face at all times."

"But just like you're here for me Im here for you Siah. Babe we in this together. Things were rocky and it was my fault and Im forever sorry. You have to show some emotion sometimes."

I shook my head slow.

"Nawhh. Im good, just taking care of my family like I was taught too. I have no emotions left. My tears all dried up and my pain come out through my fist and my words."

Diamond looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"Your a brick wall boy. Everything you been through has you like this. You have taught yourself to keep a straight face and make it through whatever by any means necessary. But one day you have to let it go babe. You'll feel so much better. I can feel the tenseness when I lay on your chest. Your shoulders rise as soon as someone does or say something you dont like. Let it go babe. One day you gone have to let it go."

I sat up and stared at a picture of Nova on our dresser.

"Well... today not the day."

It seems tha rain'll never let up
I try to keep my head up, and still keep from gettin wet up
You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor
Say there ain't no hope for the youth and the truth is
It ain't no hope for tha future
And then they wonder why we crazy