4.3; "She's my world."

L U C A S

I sat in the waiting room nervously, as I bit down on my nails. The relief I felt the moment the nurse told me Riley was awake, the feelings and happiness I felt was indescribable. She was going to be okay, and that's all I  could ever ask for.

I've always wanted her to be okay,

And the memory of the other night came crawling back into my mind,

"I can't love you."

I flinched a bit, sitting up, as I shook my head, not wanting to think about that in this second. I just wanted to see Riley.

"What's up with you, huckleberry?" I heard a voice speak, and my head turned to the side. Maya was sitting down, giving me a funny look. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Nothing." I replied back quietly, before I adjusted myself. Maya raised her eyebrow at me. Zay went home to pick up a clean set of clothes, and Farkle was sound asleep while Mr. and Mrs. Matthews were in the room with Riley and the doctor. So it was just us three in the waiting room.

"You're flinching like every second." She said in an odd tone, and I let out a sigh, before I ran my fingers through my hair. "Just nervous." I replied, before I stared back down at the ground, and then to my bruised knuckles. I was still left with bruises from my previous fight with Conner.

I wanted to throw up everytime I heard that name.

"I know. Me too. But I'm just trying to think of something else, trying to think of what could go right instead of wrong." She replied, before slipping her phone that she was occupied with before into her pocket.

Me and Maya never got along, but it was nice to be able to talk to someone without having to worry for a moment. If anything, I would consider her to be like my sister. Giving me lots of advice.

"Yeah? What do you think of to get your mind off of it?" I asked. Maya looked down to the floor, before smiling. "Well, one thing, I just found out a few days ago that my mom's getting married to Riley's uncle Shawn, so that's thing one." She responded. I pursed my lips, before I nodded my head. "Congratulations." I said, with a light smile. She nodded her head. "Thanks. The weddings in three weeks, so I'm excited. I'll finally have a real father." She spoke, before she looked down to the floor and smiled,

as mine faded away.

She was lucky. She would have a dad.

"You're very lucky." I said quietly, before I fiddled with my fingers.  I saw her give me a look from the corner of my eye. "Yeah.. I am. You're invited to the wedding if you want, with Riley of course. If she's better by the time, which I hope more than anything that she will be." She said. I looked up.

"She will be." I said, looking at Maya. She pursed her lips.

It was quiet again for a few moments,

before we heard a door creep open and we immediately stood up.

Farkle let out a light yelp, Maya must have pinched him to wake him up.

Cory and Topanga walked into the room with Auggie, smiling.

I let out a sigh. She's okay.

"She's awake, you guys can come see her now." Mr. Matthews said with a grin, and I smiled. We all began to walk quickly towards Riley's room, everyone else walking in before me and Cory.

Cory suddenly turned around, and stopped me.

I felt my stomach crumble. Oh no, it's the father talk. I'm dead.