[08] The Slave Life

Start from the beginning

Reaching down to the table beside the bed, he grabbed his Gael rod and held it just above my heart. I'm pretty sure my heartbeat tripled as I anticipated the pain.

"When you wake up, you'll either be dead or back in that filthy auction house..." he sneered down at me.

My hard glaring gaze didn't falter as I replied in a monotone voice, "Do your worst."

He seemed to have taken it as a challenge. Baring his teeth at me he let out what sounded like a battle cry as he stabbed his Gael rod hard on top of my heart and pushed down with all his strength.

It was so sudden and harsh of a pain that all I could do was let out a loud scream before it all went black.

***

"Get up, you vile creature," the guard spat down at me.

Creature... They no longer call me by what I really am. Apparently even that is beneath them now.

How could I have let them do this to me for all of these years?

Even after two years of aging and having to endure being in this new shit life, I can never forgive myself for being so stupid and cocky that day. There is never one moment that goes by where I don't regret what happened.

I hadn't woken up dead, as much as I had wished for it. It was unknown to me when I woke up again, but when I did, I was wearing a plain brown, knee-length dress made of coarse wool that scratched my skin uncomfortably and I was lying in a rock cell.

Currently, I was curled up in a ball on the hard and cold, rock floor, trying to keep warm in my single cell. My clothing did little to help... Not that any of this was new to me.

I let them get too close...

This is the same place that I have been coming to between masters ever since the witch doctor, Mrs. Pearce, sent me here. It was always the same routine where I would go from buyer to buyer, owner to owner...

Peering up at the big guard and seeing the impatient look on his face, I decided to at least try to get up. And I really did try to get up. But I was just beat an hour or so ago because I had hissed at another man for spilling all of my water for the night. I was still so weak and hurt from it that my muscles shook with the effort of moving.

But I suppose that was the purpose of their beatings anyways. They beat me for sport sometimes on the odd day to make me so weak that I would be easier to deal with.

Plus whenever I was to be shown for an auction, then I would go along with the stupid preparations without a fight.

I fought back whenever I could obviously. Why they haven't just killed me yet is beyond my understanding. All of the big burly guards hated having to deal with me as they never knew what I would do that day, not that I knew either, and they all threatened to one day kill me, yet they never do.

A small part of me is just waiting for the day when they snap and put me out of my misery.

Finally, I was on my hands and knees. But at this pace, it wasn't good enough for the guard. I heard him let out an annoyed groan as he walked into my cell and stood above me.

Great, unless I'm sold tonight, he's going to remind me of this again later with yet another beating...

He bent down and grabbed the heavy chain that was attached from the wall to my collar, which still prevented me from using the natural powers that I was born with.

If only I could be rid of this God forsaken collar and had the strength to expose my wings. Then I would slash him down where he stood. But of course I couldn't. It was one of their main priorities to make sure that I was weakened at all times so I couldn't do just that... and possibly more.

But then again, I haven't used my wings in 2 years. They are probably weak and pathetic looking back ornaments now... oh, what have I let happen to myself?

Humans rule this world, with other evil, blood-sucking creatures called Vampires following close behind. Yes, Humans found a way to put themselves at the top of even Vampires too. A little bit of holy water  and sunlight and a stake to the heart. Who would have guessed it would be so simple?

And angels are considered low and defenseless? Pfft! At least we don't melt at the simple touch of water...

Angels are considered weak because of the preconceived notion of us as a creature of their deity. It would seem that we are all nice and soft and cute in their eyes...

If you are a regular angel, maybe. No self-priding Fallen would even agree to any of that.

The gruff guard unlatched the chain from the wall and ripped me painfully up to my feet and without a pause, he shoved me towards the door.

Since leaving the science lab, my hair was never put back up in its neat ponytail. Instead, it was left down at all times now, as long hair is a sigh of attraction apparently. Now my long black hair hung limp and lifeless all around my head and in front of my face, reaching halfway down my torso and I couldn't see where I was going very well.

It was eerily quiet, which was somewhat strange for the auction house dungeons. It wasn't even a good and peaceful quiet. As we walked, I knew that we were passing other holding cells with angels in them. If you listened carefully, you could hear the muffled moans and groans of agony that these angels were in and some were even shuffling about, trying to hide themselves in an even deeper and darker recess in the wall.

Tilting my head to the side slightly, I looked at the angels that were cowering on the floor. Most looked as horrible as I did. Dirty, greasy, hungry, tired, sad, angry, and some even slightly insane. This was not a sight that any innocent life should ever see. Most of these angels were skinny and had cuts, scars and bruises all over their bodies.

Some of them were either brave or passionate about their feelings of being so against Fallens that when they saw me coming passed them, they crawled forward and spat and hissed at me before scurrying back off into their corners.

I was the only angel that was treated like this by all other angels as I was still the only Fallen to have been caught. That fact was almost embarrassing to me. Me, the daughter of the Angel of Death, was the first and still only Fallen to ever be taken in as a slave.

Perfect...

I didn't linger on that fact for long though, as I was jerked forward, indicating that I had to pick up my pace. I ignored the pain and scoffed at the angels and looked at the floor ahead of me again. I hope they all die in here.

Still. It may be hard to believe, but I do have a heart. And it makes me sick to see an angel, even if they are Pure, treated and looking like this.

As we stepped out of the cell room, there was a sudden burst of bright light that shone through my hair and into my eyes, making them feel as if they were on fire. I winced and tried to ignore it. The dim lighting in the cells did not prepare you for this at all.

I lost my footing for a moment as I was pushed forward quickly and I landed on my face, my arms not strong enough at the moment to brace my body against the fall. Bolts of pain shot up through my body and gave me such a painful headrush that my vision went black for a moment.

Of course, I didn't dare to utter a single whimper of pain. That would result in something worse than just letting it happen.

Growling up at the guard was inevitable, and luckily, this time, he just laughed.  Once again I closed my eyes and took in quick sharp breaths as I tried to stay quiet.

It is better this way... It is better this way. I attempted to convince myself, as I knew what was all next to come.

----------

Please comment and vote :) I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks :)

©KatieLuvsTokioHotel