Chapter Three

I stayed up for a few hours until sleep overtook me and woke up to see the sun up.I looked at the bed to see Alison was gone, good...I didn't want her to see me change...I looked my my hand, it was the same symbol, what did that mean? I rolled my eyes and got my shirt and jacket, then headed downstairs.

The group was already eating when I got down, Al and Hector seemed to be fighting over a piece of bacon, Bella laughing at them, then Penelope and Alison were surprisingly at each other's throats.

As I got near I heard Penelope growl, "Look, I'm sorry Ali that I can't return the-"she stopped when she saw me nearing and Alison turned around.

"Hey Max, sorry for not saving you some food..."I shrugged.

I was used to it, living with raiders, it was basically a 'feed yourself' group.I sat down in between Penelope and Alison, they shouldn't be arguing like this.I took the bacon Hector and Al were fighting for without them realizing and all the girls saw it, Bella laughing more than Alison and Penelope.

It took the guys five minutes to realize the piece was gone and looked at me, I smiled and they both rolled their eyes, sitting down.Good, another fight that's settled...I sighed and Lucy came over with some coffee, god she's good.

"There ya go Max, just the way you like it."She walked away with a smile and I took the drink in my hand.

"So where are we headed next?"I asked as I took a sip of the black coffee.

They all looked at me as if I forgot, "I mean are we going town-to-town? Or are we just trying to head to Triscindria..."

Hector looked at me, "We're going to get some horses-"

He was cut off by Alison, "But we don't know where we can get them."

I knew the answer before I even thought of it, "I know where."

Their expressions seemed surprise, "Look, just because I'm a thief, doesn't mean I don't know where horses are."

Hector rolled his eyes and said, "then lead the way, thief.."

Once I finished my coffee, I led them to a nearby stable, only a two mile walk.Alison got a black Frisian horse, like the color of her hair, I got a gray spotted one, not that it match me, Al got a big Clydesdale, Bella a small yet perfect white Nootka horse, Hector with a tiger-printed Quarter horse, and Penelope with a orange and white spotted mustang.We went aboard our horses and left Greenshadow.

On the road, I tried to talk to Alison, "Hey, what was it that you and Penelope were arguing about?"

She shook her head, "Not important right now,sorry.." She was avoiding it, I understand that, I do that too.

I tried asking another question, "Okay then, um, why are we going to Triscindria?"

"We think there's someone there to help us.."

"For the mark?" She looked at me, "How did you know that?"

"Well~"I said, "I saw it when you went to sleep, and I didn't see anyone else in the group like it..."

She looked away and I tried to get her attention back, "It's the phoenix right?"

That got her really well because she looked at me with her green eyes glowing, "Yes it's the phoenix.."

I nodded, "Did you know that they are born from their old ashes..?"

She nodded.I somewhat made a joke, "They're known to be hot tempered as well,right?"

She didn't seemed to get it, "You know, 'cause they're a fire bird?"

She giggled, "I know, I was messing with you!"