Chapter 24

Shane's POV

I slam the door of my room closed. I see Eli on his bed with his bags packed already. I haven't finished.

He glances at me and notices my tears. I don't want to talk to him right now, but I know he'll make me.

"Shane, what happened?" Eli sits up in his bed.

"I got in a fight with Isaac." I sink into my bed.

"What kind of fight?" He stares directly at my black eye.

"He said things, I said things. I slapped him, he punched me." I wipe the tears from my face.

"You slapped him?" His eyes grow wide.

"Yeah. But it was because of what he was saying."

"What did he say?"

"He said-" I breathe. "He kept saying that it was my fault we're in this mess. That Mom and Lulu are dead. That Dad left us. All my fault."

"Shane, it's-"

"It is."

"You didn't know. He can't blame you for it. I don't blame you for it." I stay quiet. I know he's right, but I can never forgive myself for what happened.

"What did Sterling do?"

"I don't know. Yelled at him, I guess." There's a knock at the door. I hear Sterling's voice at the door.

"Shane? Can I please talk to you?" I walk to the door. I step outside and Sterling drags me to his room. I lean against his dresser.

"What do you want?" I sigh.

"Shane, are you okay after what Isaac said?" His sympathy just makes it worse.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine." I choke out. I don't want to start sobbing.

"Shane. Be honest with me. How are you really feeling?"

"Why does he blame me? Why does he hate me so much?" I feel the tears gathering in my eyes.

"Isaac doesn't blame you. He loves you. We all do." Sterling tries his hardest to make me feel better.

"How's Liam doing?" I change the subject.

"He's okay for now. I'm hoping we'll leave in the next hour. You ready to go?"

"Almost." I turn away from his room.

"Shane. Don't think about what Isaac said. He was upset. He didn't mean it." I nod. I exit his room and return to my own.

**********

Rae's POV

After hearing Sterling's plan, I was feeling a little apprehensive. I mean, why shouldn't I? They don't exactly have another house to go to. It sounds like we're gonna be homeless.

I finish packing my small accumulation of items. It takes me about an hour to pack my room. Isaac hasn't come in here to pack at all. I don't know what he's thinking; Sterling wants us to leave in a half hour and Isaac has way more stuff than I do.

I pull my back pack onto my shoulder and grab the shoulder strap of my duffel. I hobble out of my room and to the top of the large staircase. How am I getting down there?  I did not think this through very well.

I drop my bags and shuffle to Shane's room. I knock on the door. Eli answers.

"What's up Rae?"

"I need some help getting down the stairs." I feel my cheeks get hot. I hate having to ask for help.

"Oh, sure. Let me grab my bags too." Eli rummages around the room and appears again with 2 suitcases and a back pack.

"I'll bring my things down first and then I'll grab your bag."

"I can carry my back pack." I pick up the small parcel and make my way down the steps; careful on each one.

Eli brings my bag down, takes it outside, and tosses it in the bed of the truck.

"Thanks. Where are  Shane and Isaac?" I look around and see that everyone else is out here except for the two of them.

"Probably still packing." Noah is leaning against the car. He keeps glancing at Liam, who, thankfully, looks like he's doing better.

"Alright, listen up. I'm going to drive the GMC with Liam and Noah. Griffin, you, Spencer, and Eli will drive in the pick-up truck. And Isaac will drive with Shane and Rae in the other car. Got it?" Sterling stares at us all. There are some groans, but we all nod our heads.

"Good. Let's get going." I crutch to the other car. I wait for Isaac and Shane to arrive outside.

I'm waiting for a good 5 minutes before Isaac rushes outside. He has sweat dripping from his forehead. He takes a few deep breaths.

"Shane's-" Isaac breathes in and out." Shane's gone."

"What?" I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"Isaac, what do you mean 'he's gone'?" Sterling inches closer to him.

"He is gone. He's not in the house at all. He's not in the backyard either. I don't know where he went."

"Where would he go?" Griffin looks around at everybody.

"I don't know." Eli pipes up.

"We'll find him guys." Spencer reassures.

"Why don't we call him?" Noah adds.

"It's not like he would tell us where he is idiot." Eli smacks the back of Noah's head.

"Ow." Noah rubs the sore spot.

They go into a frantic mess. Sterling keeps shaking his head, Griffin keeps scratching his neck, and Isaac looks like he might cry. Eli looks the worst. He's pacing back and forth and his skin turned a pale, ghostly white.

I stand at the edge of the crowd, imagining where I'd go if I ran away. When I was younger, after what my grandfather did to me, I always thought that I'd run away and travel to Hogwarts. What? I was completely obsessed with Harry Potter.

"Isaac?" Liam tugs on the hem of Isaac's shirt.

"What, Liam?" He replies in an irritated voice.

"I know where Shane is." They all go unnervingly silent. They have skeptical looks plastered on their faces. I crutch closer to hear his answer.

"Liam, where is Shane?" Sterling urges.

"Home." That's all Liam says.