Chapter 10

Rae's POV

Sterling had told us that we could spend the night in the big bedroom. I have no idea what he meant, but Isaac said that he'd show me where it was.

Another day with the Graces. It's not as bad as I first thought. Tomorrow is Sunday and Sterling said he would drop me off at Lanie's so that we could work on our project. I'm glad that I can go see her. I need to tell her about everything.

Isaac and I put on our pjs and he leads me to the room we are all going to sleep in. Everyone is already in there, so I set up my pillow in the only open spot. Between Isaac and Shane. Great. Sterling made popcorn and turned on a movie. We all watch and laugh as it goes on.

At some point, I don't remember when, I fell asleep. Around 2 a.m, I wake up and find myself sleeping really close to Shane. He has his arm around me. I don't move; I don't want to wake him. I also kinda like it. I've never had a boyfriend before, and I like cuddling with someone.

I turn my head and look around the room. My eyes fall on Isaac. His eyes are open. He's staring at me intently. I realize that he's looking past me, at Shane. His hand is still around me. I move out from under it.

"Hey."

"Hi Rae."

"Why are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep. Why are you with Shane?"

"Oh, um- well you see I guess we ended up like that as we were sleeping. I didn't fall asleep next to him like that."

"It seems like your enjoying it."

"Well I mean-"

"So you do?"

"Why does it matter to you?"

"Because he's my brother and you're our foster-sister."

"You seem jealous."

"What? I have a girlfriend."

"Ookaay." I roll over and lay next to Shane. I close my eyes and try to fall asleep again.

**********

"Stop lying to me, bitch!" He spits.

"Please! Stop!" I cry.

"You deserve everything you're getting, whore! You're just a little slutbag!" He smacks my face hard.

"Stop! Please!" I feel so helpless.

He straddles me, holding my arms tight. I flail them with all of my might. He grips them harder. His legs spread to keep me under him. I take my only opportunity. I bring my leg up and slam it as hard as I possibly can. He wails in pain and let's go of me.

Someone else grabs into my shoulders and shakes me.

"RAE! RAE!"

My eyes shoot open. Another dream. My forehead is dripping with sweat. I blink a few times to clear my vision. I see Shane on the ground holding his crotch. I think I did that when I did it in my dream. Isaac sits in front if me holding my shoulders. I look around me and see Sterling, Griffin, Elliot, and Spencer staring at me.

"What happened this time?" My head hurts.

"You were yelling and screaming in your sleep. About someone hurting you." Isaac looks genuinely worried.

"Did I um-did I-" I point towards Shane on the ground.

"Yeah. You kinda kicked him really and I mean really hard." Griffin answers. He shudders. Shane moans in pain.

"Sorry." It really sucks to have nightmares like I do.

"Do you want to tell us why you were yelling in your sleep? And why you kicked Shane in the balls?" Elliot adds.

"It's just a dream." It's too private to share with anyone.

"That's what she said the last time." Griffin spits out.

"Last time?" Sterling questions.

"Griffin doesn't know what he's talking about." I saw with my jaw clenched.

"It happened yesterday before she came outside with you guys. Except she didn't kick anyone in their pride."

"I said sorry to him. Can we just stop talking about it? Please?"

"If it's happened twice now, it must be something big." Spencer remarks.

"It's private okay. I don't want to talk about it." I say as sternly as I can without letting the tears come.

"Rae," Isaac places his hand on my leg. I shove it off of my thigh.

"No! I don't want to talk about what he did to me." Dammit.

"Rae. Who did what to you?" Sterling's eyes are wide.

"No one. Just forget I said anything." I stand up. I want to leave. I want to run away and never come back. I hate that I have to carry this burden.

"Rae. What happened to you?" Shane asks. I still feel bad for kicking him.

"I don't want to fucking talk about it. Okay?"

"Braeden." I turn around.

"What?" The tears drip slowly down my cheeks. "Why can't you just let it go?"

"Because, if you keep having these nightmares, it is not going to get better." Sterling walks toward me. "I know you don't want to tell us, or even talk about it, but it might help you get through it."

"Really? What could possibly help me get through the fact that I was raped? When I was 13. Nothing anyone says can make that go away!" I let the tears pour out. All of the boys: Sterling, Griffin, Isaac, Shane, Elliot, and Spencer's jaws drop. I notice now that Noah and Liam aren't in here.

"What do you mean?" Spencer speaks first.

"I mean that when I was thirteen I was raped by a man I trusted."

"Who-who did that to you?" Elliot asks.

"My grandfather. He told me I couldn't tell anyone, but I did. I told my parents. They told the police. But not before he did it again to me. I was raped twice by the same man." I can't believe I'm telling theses people this. I just met them 2 days ago.

"Oh my god, Rae we're so sorry." Sterling adds.

"Thanks. I'll take that into consideration after you pushed me into telling you." I'm so pissed at them right now.

"Rae, he's just-" Isaac starts.

"Just let me be alone. I don't want to talk about it anymore." I storm out of the room and run down the stairs and out the door. I keep running. I don't know when I'm going to stop, where I am going, or if I'm going to go back, but right now I just need to run.